Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pull-down resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewwren

When i am feeding an IC input value from the output of another IC, am I correct in assuming that the input value I am feeding will require no pull-down resistor?

It depends on the output stage of the IC. If it is open collector then you will need a pullup.

Mike.

Pull-up and/or pull-down resistors are also sometimes required if you're changing from one logic family to another, not normal unless you need a special function (e.g., you're working with 74LSxxx TTL and need an analog multiplexer from the CMOS family) and need reliable switching.

By the way, in TTL it's one heck of a lot harder to pull an input down than it is to pull it up, so design your circuits to eliminate inputs from switches and such that require pull-down -- pull up and invert instead.

Dean

Yeah, if it's the same logic family and the output is "normal" then you don't need pull-ups or pull-downs. If the output is a open-collector/open-drain you need pull-up resistors. If it is open-emitter/source, then you need pull down resistors.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Translation.html

Wth regards to using a pull-up so that a TTL output can drive a CMOS input, how does that work exactly? I don't quite understand how when the TTL output goes high the pull-up resistor would boost the output just a little bit to allow it to drive the CMOS. It would seem to me that the TTL output would be fighting the pull-up resistor and whichever one could sink more current would flat out win, or there would be a precarious balance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back