Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

psu volts > regulator question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harps

hello electro techs.

i purchased a pre made circuit board yesterday that needs between 24v - 30v to operate. ( as it says in the instructions 24v>30v for single rail power and +/-12v->+/-15v for dual rail.

i have an old hewlett Packard (HP)PSU from a printer that passed away a while ago that outputs 40.6 volts and I have just found a voltage regulator on the net that can deliver 24volts.

the voltage regulator has a max input of 40v to operate but as i say my HP PSU ouputs 40.6 volts, so its a little high perhaps for real comfort? Could I simply place a resistor in series between the psu and regulator to bring this down a tiny bit so i've nothing to worry about when its up and running?

Voltage regulator,MC7824CT 24V 1A
circuit board power consumption 12ma ( i hope to power two cards in the future from this one supply)

thanks for help on this : )

I would connect a couple of 1N4001's in series with the input, that would drop input voltage by about 1.5V. A resistor voltage drop would vary greatly with the current drawn by the load. The diodes will drop a nominal 0.7V each but it could go as high as about 1.1V depending on the load current.

Use an LM317. It has an Input-Output max rating of 40V. Since your output will be 24V, that means the differential will be 40.6-24 = 17V, unlike the 7824, where the full input voltage appears between its Input pin and its GND pin.

Last edited:
Use an LM317. It has an Input-Output max rating of 40V. Since your output will be 24V, that means the differential will be 40.6-24 = 17V, ...
As long as you don't accidentally short the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back