Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSU/voltage guard for car fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

armstery

Hello,
I would need a circuit that cuts off the power from the car battery when the voltage falls too much down. I have a small fridge in my car and I've already twice forgot to unplug it, with the result that the battery gets too empty for the car to start.

So I would need a circuit which connects between the 12v outlet and the fridge, and disconnects the power when the voltage falls to about 11.7v, and if possible reconnects when the power rises a bit above it. It should take 3-4A.

I've looked at this low voltage disconnect circuit but I would like to make one which would be a little more simple, with less components. Does anyone have any good ideas or example circuits?

You might find it better to buy a leisure battery instead, perhaps an 80 amp hour one. Car batteries are not designed for this sort of discharge, they are designed to deliver a lot of power very quickly.

Here is something that I built for testing 12V batteries for capacity. It switches off the relay (and the load) when the battery voltage falls below a preset level. You can wire the relay contacts either on the high side or low side of your load. Use a small relay, so that the power required to hold in the coil is small compared to your load.

Attachments

• Discharger.jpg
    Discharger.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 310
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back