Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSR-6000 went up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

micr0man

Hello all,

I am a fond piano player and was recently given a Yamaha PSR-6000. it has had a lot of use and during my piano lesson yesterday the screen started flickering and a puff of smoke came out. I immediately turned my piano off and put it outside to cool.

Later that day i decided i was going to take it all apart, so I did. I was expecting it too be something in the power supply, such as an electrolytic cap (suggested by a few people on the chat) but found out it was a mica cap which i shall replace. I am about to swap it with another capacitor but due to my age i do not enjoy working with enclosures that house 230v (my dad is an electrician of some sorts so i am not too bad). I am willing to give my piano another try with the new capacitor but i am worried it may have only been a side problem. One thing i have noticed is this step up board does smell of the smoke that came out during my lesson.

I was hoping to look at all the components on the board to calculate the input voltage but am now finding it too be much harder than i initially thought it would be so i can hopefully test it out on my bench power supply first. I would like help to find if this is possible and am willing to do a schematic if some people can help me on one or two components as i can not find any information on them.

Firstly it is the big component on the board labeled "VS60250". I am thinking it is a coil of some sorts but i would like to know some specific specs on it. It contains 9 pins. The other component i am enquiring about is a component labeled D1863. It contains 3 pins so I am thinking it is a transistor, but cannot find many specfics on it, I found a transistor with a similar number but the packages do not look the same. On the silkscreen it is TR* where * is the component number

If it of any help the CFL needs a 1000Vrms start voltage and a 275Vrms operating voltage. A datasheet is here: https://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/Hosidan/HLM6323.pdf

As another note I am wondering if anybody has the service manual for the PSR-6000 keyboard and if so perhaps somebody could give a link to download it if thats legal as it could help me stop wasting a lot of time figuring all this out,

Thanks, Dave

Some Pictures follow:

Attachments

• DSCF4511[1].JPG
    DSCF4511[1].JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 442
  • DSCF4512.JPG
    DSCF4512.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 386
  • DSCF4513.JPG
    DSCF4513.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 338
  • DSCF4518.JPG
    DSCF4518.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Hi there, nice good clear pics. In the 2nd pic theres a brown cap 683K 250V it has a crack through it, this is posibly where the smoke came from its a 68nf/.086uf 250volt polyester cap. Try replacing this first, the board looks like an inverter for driving the display tube for the screen backlight.

Hi there, nice good clear pics. In the 2nd pic theres a brown cap 683K 250V it has a crack through it, this is posibly where the smoke came from its a 68nf/.086uf 250volt polyester cap. Try replacing this first, the board looks like an inverter for driving the display tube for the screen backlight.

I would agree entirely, the capacitor is 100% faulty, and almost certainly is the only fault - it's a common type of failure.

Does a 250V cap seem low for a 230V mains? Also, could TR6 & 7 be diodes and cause the cap failure?

Does a 250V cap seem low for a 230V mains? Also, could TR6 & 7 be diodes and cause the cap failure?

The input is not 230V mains, It is a low voltage input which i feel could be 12v or similar.

Before i commit myself to reassembling the device I wish to test it out of the piano first. This brings me to the question what the input voltage would be, I wish to work it out from creating a schematic from the components on the board. Thank you keepitsimplestupid for the transistor link, I now just need to find the coil specification which is labeled "VS60250",

I hope this has made more sense,

Thanks, Dave

Personaly I would just replace the condensor & refit the board & tryit, you wont be able to measure the voltage that goes to the tube as its high freq high voltage.

As already mentioned, it's not on the mains - TR6 and 7 are probably transistors - and the capacitor will have failed because it's faulty, nothing will have caused it to fail (except that it's probably not a very high quality cap).

OK just an update I looked at the power supply for the driver and found it too be a 12v output with a fuse at 400ma so I shall be able to test it with my bench power supply.

I am just about to buy the capacitor off the internet so i shall post a further update once it is fitted,

Thanks for all the help, It was appreciated,

David

Sorry for not catching up. I have fixed the device by changing the capacitor. I tested it on the bench succesfully so went ahead to put it all back together. It was a little tricky as i had no service manual but i finally did it with only 5 spare screws. it has worked since with no signs of problems.

Another device that was close to being chucked into the dumpster fixed, alive and well,

Thanks everyone for all the help, it was appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back