Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PS3 Trackball

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike79

I have this idea to attach a small trackball to the right hand analogue stick on a PS3 controller. I'm thinking of just soldering the outputs on the trackball straight over the top of the current wires for the stick. Will this work or am I being a little naive?

Heres the trackball.
**broken link removed**

Heres where I plan to solder onto.
**broken link removed**

Do you guys have any idea as to what I should be wiring to and from. Dont laugh please, I'm desperate to get something working and am willing to give anything a go.

Kind Regards

Mike

Trackballs are relative positioning devices, joysticks are absolute so there's not going to be a simple solder on sollution to this idea. You'd need a relativly sophisticated sollution, such as a micro controller connected to the trackball with a rolling reset or some other method of turning the track balls relative position into an absolute one and a DAC to interface to the controller in place of the POT (joystick) to give the controller the translated position.

Rats.

How would I go about writing something like this? Which program/language is best?

Regards

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back