Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PS without using any Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamikrudra

Hi

can any one give me the detals of a circuit which will convert 220V AC in to 12 V or 5V DC or provide both the output, it can be a SMPS but without using any type of transformer
is it posible ?

Yes but its realy dengerus!

They dont provide much power ether.

You must NOT toch an output of such an suply as it is NOT isulated from the mains.

I like transformers more.(there way safer)

as making an smps is easy but making a transformer is a deficult task for me as i dont know any thing about transformer i want to eleminet from it

but from your question you dont really know of how to do it without a transformer either, sooooo
TAKE THE TRANSFORMER FOOR :x :evil:

I have no idea what the word "FOOR" is or where it comes from :?
But what I can say is, ignore what I just said and take the transformer route, you'll love it!

Clyd3 said:
I have no idea what the word "FOOR" is or where it comes from :?
But what I can say is, ignore what I just said and take the transformer route, you'll love it!
i am talking about core size , material , wire thickness and what should be the rasio of winding
when designing a transformar in a smps how to calculate these values?

I'm sure it's fun, dont worry...
I mean the guys here can help you... I think?

(I dont know how to do that stuff either... must of misread something... sorry)

Why in the world wod you wind your own trasformer.Buy one or pull one out of an old radio or somting.

DO NOT MAKE AN TRANSFORRLES PSU.Dont get your self kiled!These things dont isolate you from the mains

shamikrudra said:
as making an smps is easy but making a transformer is a deficult task for me as i dont know any thing about transformer i want to eleminet from it

Just to turn things around, how would it be if I said "making an SMPS is easy but I dont understand transistors, I want to eliminate them"

Not much of an SMPS any more!

While typing it occured to me that you could build an SMPS without transistors by using a "vibrator".
Anybody else old enough on this board to know what I am refering to?

JimB

Someone Electro said:
Why in the world wod you wind your own trasformer.Buy one or pull one out of an old radio or somting.

DO NOT MAKE AN TRANSFORRLES PSU.Dont get your self kiled!These things dont isolate you from the mains
i dont want to play with mains but want to learn transformer making or making smps without transfomer

As i sead buy an transformer or pull one out of an old radio,VCR,radio clock...

I have a lot of mains transformers laing around

LOL, JimB, ah the vibrator. Bane of the automotive electric world for years. Well it kept part dealers in business I guess.

I'll add my 2 cents.. use a transformer, save yourself the aggravation, shocks, exploding bridge rectifiers, damaged test equipment and band-aids for better use.

JimB said:
While typing it occured to me that you could build an SMPS without transistors by using a "vibrator".
Anybody else old enough on this board to know what I am refering to?

Yes, I've worked with them in the past 8) - you could even get 'syncronous' ones, so you didn't require a rectifier (which is the sort of thing WilliB is trying to do in another thread!).

However, they were used to generate AC to feed a transformer from a DC source (usually car batteries, to feed valve equipment), so aren't really appropriate for an AC mains powered PSU.

In the same vein?, do you remember motor/generator sets? - an even more crude way of doing it! - simply a 12V DC motor, mechanically coupled to a higher voltage dynamo. Feed 12V DC in and get 300V DC (or whatever the dynamo is designed for!) out.

Nigel Goodwin said:
However, they were used to generate AC to feed a transformer from a DC source (usually car batteries, to feed valve equipment), so aren't really appropriate for an AC mains powered PSU.

Exactly, as appropriate as an SMPS without a transformer!

Nigel Goodwin said:
In the same vein?, do you remember motor/generator sets? - an even more crude way of doing it! - simply a 12V DC motor, mechanically coupled to a higher voltage dynamo. Feed 12V DC in and get 300V DC (or whatever the dynamo is designed for!) out.

Yes I have one hiding somewhere, 12v input and about 275v 60mA output.
I have never used it but it seemed just the thing to have at the time for about 6d (2.5p !).

JimB

Hi,

The 'Instrument supply rail' on earlier cars was fed from a very
crude SMPS(Switched Mode Power Supply) which delivered a 10 volt
(average) supply to run the instrument panel.

It was just a HotWire/BimetalStrip arrangement whiched switched
the 12 volt battery on and off to provide an average of 10 volts.
It switched fairly slowly too, but older instruments were even
slower to respond, so it worked fine.

There might be even simpler SMPS systems about.

Yes, i recall the old DC-Transformers or rotary transformers as
some people called them. I have a few myself.

Regards, John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back