Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ps/2 keyboard to usb adapter, how to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd13

i think the title says it all, so anyone know how to do this??

heres what i know: usb cable/port has 4 pins, a v+, a ground, and two data wires. a ps/2 keyboard port has 5 pins, a v+, a ground, a data wire, and a clock wire, and one pin is not in use-or as they said on that one site- "not implemented". considering many things, the top one being that the adapters for a mouse+keyboard to usb cost 20$ i would like to make my own. i come to this after a couple of conclusions: looking at the item in stores and this picture on ebay (only keyboard to usb)
**broken link removed**
it seems to me there is little to no room at all to put an IC, or any type of uncommon electronic part, and because there is a 4 to 4 pin match up with the two ports i have come to the conclusion that it would be easy to make my own adapter (i have a usb cable and a ps/2 keybaord) i know to match up the V+ and ground wires but i have no clue how to hook up the other two wires. anyone know how.

They don't match up!, USB and PS2 keyboard are totally different things. However, some devices may include the hardware and software for both PS2 and USB (I have mice that do this), but a standard PS2 only keyboard won't interface to a USB port with a simple lead - neither the hardware or software is compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back