Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proximity Card reader integrating with an Android phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyojojo

Hi, Guys,

I know nothing about circuitry or eletronic stuffs, but i am looking for a technical solution to somehow integrate a proximity card reader with an Android phone (HTC or Samsung). This is for an idea i have on a business venture and requires access control to a car. To simply put, a person could swipe his/her card on the proximity reader and gain control to the car. The access log would then be sent back to a server (through 3G) for reporting puspose. I just like to know how you could create a docking station for the phone that would have a wire with the proper interface linking to the reader and another power cable linking to the car battery. anyone? I would also pay to this done.

or is this not the right place to place a question like this?

Thanks!

Why do you want a phone, with docking station? I would have thought that you would be better with a far cheaper GSM module in the car to send the access logs.

An Android phone will not have any of the hardware needed for the card reading, so all it is giving you is the GSM bit to send the data. The card reader will still need to be fitted and connected to.

The reason i wanted a phone is because i also want the GPS coordinate be sent back to the server. I guess all i want is to be able to control access remotely as well as track where my vehicle is. any thoughts? It doesn't have to be a phone, as long it could fullfill the two tasks stated.

Look for a GSM module with a GPS ability... They're fairly standard, that's why so many phone's have them.

Separate GPS modules are also available. If you get a phone module with GPS ability, you often need to provide an active antenna. However, many GPS modules contain the active antenna. Either way you need two devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back