Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protection relay system for pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frit

Hi.

I'm new to the forum and my knowledge of electronics is pretty basic - not to say rusty! I'm hoping for a bit of help and inspiration.

I have just installed a couple of pumps, one for ground water seeping in under the house and one which takes both rainwater and groundwater. In addition I have a pump drawing water from the tank these pumps empty into to and used to flush our toilets. This pump has a small pressure tank switching on when the pressure drops below a certain threshold. The other pumps turn on when the water level rises above a certain level and off when it drops again. Normally the pumps only pump for max a couple of minutes at a time.

The other day a pipe burst but as I was home and saw it I could turn it off otherwise it would have continued pumping air until it had burned out. I realise now that I really need some kind of protection.

I want to make a switch which cuts the power off with constant use after a certain time - variable from zero to around ten minutes, and with a manuel reset required if triggered. It would be nice with an override switch and a green light when not triggered and power on and a red light when triggered. The pumps run on 220 v mains electric. Its very difficult accessing the pumps themselves so I really need something that works on the two lead power lines. The two ground pumps share a neutral line.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back