Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proportional Control Circuit w/ Thermocouple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my last response seems to be "lost" in the moderation queue.

blueroomelectronics:

You seem pretty convinced that an "HHO Car" is the only use for hot air...

To be honest, I've never heard of an HHO car, and I don't even want to bother looking them up. I trust this forum when they say that whatever they are is a waste of time.

What I'm trying to build is just a toned down hot air soldering iron. A DIY hack proof already exists on the internet:

DIY Hot Air Soldering Iron using 12-18volts DC at 2-3 amps

DIY Hot Air Soldering Iron using 12-18volts DC at 2-3 amps

The only difference is I want to implement temperature control, either by relay or by PI control over PWM. Also, I don't necessarily need to go as high as 350C, but that would be a bonus.

Last edited:
Well I doubt a temperature controlled hot air soldering iron is what the OP had in mind. If the heater is AC powered a SCR or TRIAC would be better than a Relay. Also with AC you'll need to use a zero crossing circuit and a snubber. You won't need the same speed and accuracy DarcOn is looking for.

The project is going to be a 100% hydrogen fueled electricity generator.

The point I was trying to make was if you're using electricity to generate Hydrogen then using Hydrogen to run an electric generator you're simply designing a very inefficent method of creating electricity (using the Hydrogen as a storage medium)

It's a guess on my part to what DarcOn is acutally doing.

Yeah, I'm not impressed with hydrogen as an energy storage medium, either. Loads of tanks compressed to insane pressures and even then the range is crappy. Conversion loss to go from electricity to hydrogen, another conversion loss from hydrogen back to electricity. Hydrogen seems to be more of a cult than anything.

Hahaha, the market is just looking for ANY physical form of energy that you can be made to pay for at a pump (why rework the entire transportation market right?). As far as I'm concerned gasoline is already a cult...

What's even funnier is that commercials claim that Hydrogen would be a truly zero-emission fuel, completely ignoring the tremendous costs of forming and transporting hydrogen gas.

I guess I missed that post of Dacr0n's where he states he's building a hydrogen generator...

I've been trying to read up on zero cross circuit, but I'm getting confused. Do I need to implement one if I control the triac gate through a smoothed-DC thermostat circuit? Could I also use an "alternistor" or snubberless triac and avoid the need for a snubber (or will the "fourth quadrant" failing of alternistors interrupt proper switching)?

Don't need a snubber on a heating element. Zero-cross is good no matter what, for easy zero-cross driving a triac use a zero-crossing opto with triac drive.

Last edited:
i need a help to obtain transfer function for a tank, where a heater is placed. the liquid temperature should be maintained at 45C . no inlet or out let. how to obtain the transfer function?? for analysisng about the controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back