Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PROJECT IDEAS! (CREATIVE)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canyouknott

SCHOOL PROJECT
Hey guys, I'm in year 12 and doing electronics for school. My main project is coming up and is based on logic gates... ATM I have a few ideas for a circuit but not many. If anyone has any ideas that involve logic gates, it would be greatly appreciated.

ON THE SIDE PROJECT
I'm making a wooden full scale half gun and sling shot. (The butt end and trigger mech is gun looking but the font has a big sling shot mounted on it whihc is cocked back[shoots paint balls]) Does anyone have any ideas on how I can involve electronics in this project.... e.g laser pointer installed within the wood up front controlled by a switch.

Cheers lads

This is an interesting [urlhttps://youtu.be/3wPqR55vCmU]video of an 1980s flashing LED advertising sign [/url] done using logic gates. It's amazing how complex the circuit is compared to how simple it would be with a micro-controller and a driver chip.

It's probably more complex than what you need to do but it may give you some ideas.
Screenshot_2016-02-29-01-47-54-1024x576.jpg

This is an interesting [urlhttps://youtu.be/3wPqR55vCmU]video of an 1980s flashing LED advertising sign [/url] done using logic gates. It's amazing how complex the circuit is compared to how simple it would be with a micro-controller and a driver chip.

It's probably more complex than what you need to do but it may give you some ideas.
Cheers, would have a suss.

What exactly is the criteria for your assignment ie. Number of gates, input/outputs, complexity etc... What's a suss?

When i was back in year 12 we had a similar project, granted that was over a decade ago but seeing as logic gates haven't changed the projects we did back then will still be relevant.

note: you say ' based on logic gates' so I'll assume you can also use other ICs as long as you have some element of logic processing in there

- Top marks went to a random lottery number picker. which was a 555 timer into a counter with a combination of logic gates to 'randomise' the output. then into a seven segment display driver. In this case the counter and display driver were all ICs but you could also make them out of pure logic if your up for a challenge. creating a nice package for the circuit is what then got top marks.

- Second place went to a guitar tuner. TBH i don't know much about that circuit but you can bet it used some filters op-amps and logic gates as thats all we were really taught at that stage

- my project, Minefield! This was basically a carpet of 20 pressure pads with a 555 timer and logic to turn power on to 4 random pads. (similar circuit to the lottery number picker). A person had to get from one side of the carpet to the other without stepping on a 'live' mine. If you did step on a live mine then a 555 timer and some XOR logic created pink noise which i then put through an amplifier with a decaying volume to create a kind of explosion sound.

- On and another project that i just remembered was a quiz show like buzzer. So basically four teams would have a buzzer and the first person to press it would set off the buzzer and lock the others out until it was reset. So that's a flip-flop with some logic. Again you can make a flip-flop out of logic very easily.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back