Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

project idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

meowth08

Any idea for a project that will use mainly a triaxis accelerometer (+/-2g)?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

:D

An autopilot for my airplane?

Last edited:
Microchip has an application note (AN996) that describes a 3-axis gyro system for an aircraft using a MEMSIC thermal accelerometer.

Here's a link to the Memsic site: **broken link removed**
Its application note an-00mx-001 descries how it works. Other notes even give code examples.

John

I forgot to add something. I'm looking for an application that is not airplane, helicopter, or anything flying. It was actually our first choice but unfortunately, components for the hardware part are rare so we decided to think of other options.

I forgot to add something. I'm looking for an application that is not airplane, helicopter, or anything flying.
Same idea, a lot slower and longer duration, how about a submarine?

Or a more practical everyday problem, how about an inertial navigation aid for a blind person?
I have no idea if such a thing would be possible, or useful, but hey give it some thought.

JimB

Here is another idea, a no contact mouse for your PC. There are examples out there.

John

Hi John,

Thanks. I have seen the applications of the accelerometer from MEMSIC.
I'll consult my group-mates tomorrow for what they think.

My group-mate's idea: making a glove-mouse for a computer.

But I like the segway. I still can't understand how it balances.
I'll continue reading inverted pendulum concepts.
I might find ways to incorporate the tri-axis accelerometer.

HI,

I wasn't able to see post numbers 6 and 7 yesterday.
Were they inserted :confused:

Teacher rejected the "segway" and "mouse".
Hmmn.. What she's looking for is something with good practical application.
I'll google inertial navigation aid now so I'll have an idea.
Hopefully we get a project title/idea to be approved until Saturday so we have 4 weeks to do the project including paper works.

If you also have ideas even without using accelerometers please let me know. Thanks.

How does your teacher define "practical."

Was the "pinch screen" from Apple "practical" when it was first invented? Why isn't autonomous control of a submarine practical?

There is a lot of developmental interest in using gross motor movements, e.g., hand or arm, not finger, to control things. One might even call it using "body English" for control. Those systems have potential for both non-disabled as well as disabled individuals.

Your question, like so many we see on this forum, involves a third party who has not made clear to you what the requirements are. Add another layer of you trying to communicate to us what was not communicated clearly to you, and you can see the futility.

Perhaps your teacher should open an account with ETO and correspond directly. Short of that, I have a feeling the teacher thinks she knows what she wants, and we are all trying to guess what that is.

John

Since you're in the South Pacific....a Seismograph.

Ken

Thanks for your inputs gents.

Teacher doesn't want us to make projects which are already commercially available.
We have proposed a similar idea to that of the seismograph but was also rejected.

Automobile cruise control: others are making something like this already.

We have proposed the INERTIAL NAVIGATION FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED as our topic.
We were required to make background of the study and hopefully we guess correctly what our teacher wants to see in the write up so it will be approved.

@John: I think it's already an issue of understanding fickle minded women :D No book has ever perfectly explained the way women think.

It's coz they don't actually "think", they "emot"
Anyway, you are exhausting the possibilities with a 3-axis accelerometer lol.
Your proposed idea, how will it work?

I think the problem is that the teacher doesn't know how to teach, not her sex. Since the term "teacher" is used, I suspect this is high school or underclassman college level. The emphasis there should be on learning the fundamentals, not on blazing new trails. Giving a student an impossible problem is not the way to go.

Now, where to begin with an inertial guidance (navigation) system for the visually impaired? First, I would make a list of what the system is supposed to do and add some measurable qualities to that list. As just one example, if the system is to help the person get around in a local shopping mall, what type of positioning accuracy and mapping input will you need? If it is to prevent falls, ask similar fall related questions. After you have a better idea of what you think is needed, visit some impaired people, observe, and ask them.

I think you will have a very hard time replacing a good service dog, either functionally or emotionally. So, you may want to define how your device will augment currently available resources.

John

I think the problem is that the teacher doesn't know how to teach, not her sex. Since the term "teacher" is used, I suspect this is high school or underclassman college level. The emphasis there should be on learning the fundamentals, not on blazing new trails. Giving a student an impossible problem is not the way to go.

Now, where to begin with an inertial guidance (navigation) system for the visually impaired? First, I would make a list of what the system is supposed to do and add some measurable qualities to that list. As just one example, if the system is to help the person get around in a local shopping mall, what type of positioning accuracy and mapping input will you need? If it is to prevent falls, ask similar fall related questions. After you have a better idea of what you think is needed, visit some impaired people, observe, and ask them.

I think you will have a very hard time replacing a good service dog, either functionally or emotionally. So, you may want to define how your device will augment currently available resources.

John

If I'm blind and have a stick flat ground it negotiable. It's best for locating objects or stairs, a little more difficult to detect up or down.

Using your dog concept is good. With a dog on a leash it's a real problem when the dog goes up or down. That's why they have a harness saddle with a grip, now they can feel the grip move in their hand back and forth.

But, if I have gloves I may not. Put the accelerometer on the harness just below the handle to detect up or down with a speaker saying up, up, or down,down. In theory it's navigation just not left or right, stop or go.

kv

@killivolt
Are your comments based on experience with such service dogs?

The crux of my point was that sighted people can image a lot about what impaired people may need or want. However, such theory does not necessarily translate into the real needs of the impaired.

Visually impaired people are the only ones who can speak with authority on what they need and what will help. They need to be asked and listened to. That is best done before the project gets too far and the students have made a big investment in time and other resources.

John

@killivolt
Are your comments based on experience with such service dogs?

The crux of my point was that sighted people can image a lot about what impaired people may need or want. However, such theory does not necessarily translate into the real needs of the impaired.

Visually impaired people are the only ones who can speak with authority on what they need and what will help. They need to be asked and listened to. That is best done before the project gets too far and the students have made a big investment in time and other resources.

John

Nope, your right.

I was just thinking for the sake of the OP, he could get her off his back by putting it on the dog, so to speak :rolleyes:

Yes, you are so correct in all aspects.

Sorry I bumped through..... my apology's. To you and the OP.

Regards,
kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back