Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project Help: Wiring LEDs, lights, and making diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGBFBG

Hello -

Let me preface this by saying I have no experience building circuits or bear any knowlege about electronics, but I'm a fast learner and have been gathering bits and pieces here.

OK -

So I'm building a prop for a Sci Fi comedy show that's going on here in Chicago. It's sort of a cross between a geiger counter and a Tricorder from Star Trek. I thought I'd take a crack at making it look functional by adding some lights. I've been doing a little bit of research - checking out some websites here and there and the tutorials provided on instructables.com - but before I make a fool of myself with the soldering iron I was wondering if someone might be willing to donate some time to help me make some diagrams. I have nothing to give in return, save some karma, thanks, and a credit in our program.

I'm fairly confident that once I have the components and diagram I'd be able to do the construction myself. It is going to be placed in a tin housing since I thought it would be easy to drill any holes in that material.

So here's what I'm thinking. There need to be two separate circuits built because I need it to do two separate things that I don't believe could be accomplished with one, but if not, lemme know, 'cause I sure don't.

1.) Two alternating blinking LEDs (red and green) controlled by a simple on/off switch. - This seemed a little more challenging.
2.) Three LEDs controlled by a momentary switch (only needs to held on for about 15 seconds)

That being said, would anyone be kind enough to help me figure this out? As I said, I have nothing to offer, except a thank you and the feeling of superiority over someone who doesn't know electronics.

I would be happy to provide whatever information I can.

Thanks!

Hello -

Let me preface this by saying I have no experience building circuits or bear any knowlege about electronics, but I'm a fast learner and have been gathering bits and pieces here.

OK -

So I'm building a prop for a Sci Fi comedy show that's going on here in Chicago. It's sort of a cross between a geiger counter and a Tricorder from Star Trek. I thought I'd take a crack at making it look functional by adding some lights. I've been doing a little bit of research - checking out some websites here and there and the tutorials provided on instructables.com - but before I make a fool of myself with the soldering iron I was wondering if someone might be willing to donate some time to help me make some diagrams. I have nothing to give in return, save some karma, thanks, and a credit in our program.

I'm fairly confident that once I have the components and diagram I'd be able to do the construction myself. It is going to be placed in a tin housing since I thought it would be easy to drill any holes in that material.

So here's what I'm thinking. There need to be two separate circuits built because I need it to do two separate things that I don't believe could be accomplished with one, but if not, lemme know, 'cause I sure don't.

1.) Two alternating blinking LEDs (red and green) controlled by a simple on/off switch. - This seemed a little more challenging.
2.) Three LEDs controlled by a momentary switch (only needs to held on for about 15 seconds)

That being said, would anyone be kind enough to help me figure this out? As I said, I have nothing to offer, except a thank you and the feeling of superiority over someone who doesn't know electronics.

I would be happy to provide whatever information I can.

Thanks!

I will help. The alternating green and red LEDs are not difficult. You can use an astable 555 timer and a few transistors. I'd like to get a little clarification on the portion with 3 LEDs though. Do you want the user to just push the pushbutton once and then have the LEDs go out 15 seconds later or will they be holding down the pushbutton for the whole 15 seconds? Either way is doable, I'd just need to know before making the schematic.

Let me know and I can draw up a schematic in a few hours.

Edit: Sorry forgot to ask, what will be the power source? How about a 9V?

Last edited:
Wow, thanks so much! I didn't expect such a quick reply.

15 seconds was just a number I came up with based on how long I think the effect will last in the script. What that's supposed to be is a "laser" effect in the script. The scanner gets Macgyver'd at the end of the show and turned into a laser, so I just thought that a switch that the actor could hold down for a few seconds to turn on those LEDs would do the job - it's by no means a timed switch, just something the actor holds on and releases to turn it off. I apologize if I used the wrong terminology.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Wow, thanks so much! I didn't expect such a quick reply.

15 seconds was just a number I came up with based on how long I think the effect will last in the script. What that's supposed to be is a "laser" effect in the script. The scanner gets Macgyver'd at the end of the show and turned into a laser, so I just thought that a switch that the actor could hold down for a few seconds to turn on those LEDs would do the job - it's by no means a timed switch, just something the actor holds on and releases to turn it off. I apologize if I used the wrong terminology.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

No wrong terminology, I just wanted to make sure. That's actually easier than making it with a time delay although it wouldn't have been much trouble even with the time delay. Let me draw up a schematic and I'll post it in a few hours.

Last edited:
People here are awesome, i joined the boards a few days ago and got so much help with my questions, so glad there's people out there willing to help people out, creates good karma. Good luck with your project.

People here are awesome, i joined the boards a few days ago and got so much help with my questions, so glad there's people out there willing to help people out, creates good karma. Good luck with your project.

Well that and it would be pretty awesome to get a credit in a low budget sci fi TV show. And Mom said I'd never amount to anything. Who's laughing now!?! :D

I don't know if you saw the question after I edited my first reply but would a 9V battery as a power source be OK? Also, I sent you a PM.

I threw this together to make sure it's what you want. The speed can be adjusted if it's too fast or slow. My camera isn't good so it's kind of blurry at times but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the schematic. For the 3 LED portion of the circuit, it will work as shown with pretty much any color LED except for blue or white. If you want to use either one of those colors, let me know and I can modify the design.

Edit: Sorry, I realized I accidently omitted a component when I was drawing everything up. Here's a corrected schematic. If you're wondering what changed, I added R7.

555 Flasher.PNG

Last edited:
Here's the schematic. For the 3 LED portion of the circuit, it will work as shown with pretty much any color LED except for blue or white. If you want to use either one of those colors, let me know and I can modify the design.

Edit: Sorry, I realized I accidently omitted a component when I was drawing everything up. Here's a corrected schematic. If you're wondering what changed, I added R7.

View attachment 38533

Holy Crap! This is amazing, I can't believe how fast you were able to get this to me. I've given you some rep points, and I'll give you some more if I can. I'll be in touch with you about the progress of this, and when we get our programs printed up I'll send it in the mail to you!

Many Thanks!

No problem. Glad it's what you were looking for. You can increase or decrease the speed that LEDs flash by changing the value of R2. A higher value will slow down the flashing and a lower value will speed it up. I'll be looking forward to recieving the program. I guess I incorrectly assumed that you were making a TV show but it sounds more like a play. Have fun building the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back