Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project for digital electronics--- Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch12

The project is as follows:

Description:

A Vessel has a standpipe connected. A float is installed inside the standpipe to float at the level of the liquid. A ring of magnets are incorporated into the body of the float and act upon a strip sensor attached to the outside of the standpipe. The sensor consists of eight reed switched that are closed as the magnet passes upward and open when the magnet passes downward.

Design and construct a digital circuit that will use the sensor condition to provide:
1. a two digit level indication
2.High and low level alarms
3. a 1-5vdc signal proportional to the level.

Include a block diagram with a brief circuit description and a full circuit diagram.

I will be constructing this circuit using logic trainers and ICs.

I not really sure where to start, what type of chips i need and how the circuit layout would be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance

How about you think about what you have and try for a few thoughts as to how to go about it. This looks to be a typical school assignment so I doubt they expect a micro controller solution but rather a simple logic solution. Since they mention two digit indication you could start thinking about the display and how to drive it. The idea here is you need to take the initiative to start the project. People will help but I doubt they will complete your assignment.

Ron

Yes it is just a logic that they are after, I'm not looking for someone to complete the project just ideas on how to put the components together most efficiently.

...and the limitations given (using reed switches and so on) ain't fun IMO. They could've used other methods as well, like a floating lightweight plate and a range sensing equipment like an analog IR pair...

If you want to build it, then things'll get much more interesting anyway.

Well with things called out and the use of reed switches you may want to give this a read. That should give you some starter ideas. There are a number of ways to go about it. Actually the use of reed switches is pretty common for rod position indicating in nuclear reactor systems. Just many, many switches and not 8 :) .

So, you could configure the switches in a voltage divider configuration and employ some window comparators.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back