Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project for 5th grade kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnan786

I am looking for a website or guidance for a simple electronic projects for kids of 5 rade. Project which can be made using household things or easily available stuff at economical cost. Thanks for yr guidance.

i was building Tesla coils at that age, but i think the safety "guidelines" in most schools these days would rule that out (and possibly a "wireless transmitter" because it's basically the same thing....). a hand built DC motor is a good choice.... maybe a motor and matching generator.... spin the generator and watch it turn the motor...

actually a good low-voltage "transmitter" could be a resonant circuit fed through a relay wired as a buzzer.... use a SPDT relay. the DC goes through a morse key, then to the center contact, the NC contact goes to the relay coil, the NO contact goes to the resonant circuit. if the relay hasn't got enough dwell time in the energized state to activate the resonant circuit, add a capacitor across the relay coil to slow the operation down... this makes a good "safe" low voltage transmitter...

What are you wanting them to learn? If you want them to learn the basics of electricity, then the old battery/light/switch (all of which they can make themselves except for the light) will show them a lot. If you want them to understand what the various components do then something like a battery/potentiometer and volt/ammeter/light will demonstrate Ohms' Law.

As my old professor drummed into me "define the problem carefully as you will only solve the problem you define!"

Susan

I am looking for a website or guidance for a simple electronic projects for kids of 5 rade. Project which can be made using household things or easily available stuff at economical cost. Thanks for yr guidance.

This site is good: www [dot] instructables [dot] com
Another one: www [dot] arvindguptatoys [dot] com

I teach kids that age all the time, you would be surprised of what they can understand once you explain things to them. You need to make it fun and interactive, so that their attention may be captured. I've noticed that kids often enjoy programming, particularly robotics. However, I would try to get some LED's flashing, probably in the BASIC language. The BS2 stamp is perfect for this, I've used it to help teach kids basic programming.

A simple and inexpensive way to learn basic circuitry and easy programming is with the Picaxe system. It can be as simple or as complex as you want. 3 easy to read manuals start at ground zero. All done in easy to grasp Basic.

Join the forum and get in touch with "Manuka", he's a Kiwi electronics teacher who will have tons of advice for you.

A thermonuclear reactor should be a good start for a 5 year old. OK seriously...

I would have to vote for a simple electric motor. A few nails and some magnet wire easily found or scrounged up pretty much get you there. Figure a 5th grader is about 10 or 11 years old so it is simple, easy and teaches the basics of magnetic attraction and repulsion, something they can see and easily demonstrate with a few magnets. One nice feature of a simple project like this is that everything that is happening can be seen and grasped making learning simple. They can see it. Also, using a few nails and some magnet wire demonstrates how it was done with simple everyday household items. Nothing complex or fancy.

Then too, as mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to see where the child's interest lie. Different children seem to gravitate to different projects. If a child wants to plant a seed and watch it grow, then that is as good as a motor. :)

Ron

when i was that age, semiconductor lasers were devices only seen in the laboratory, and only infrared devices. i thought i had discovered a cheap form of the same device by sending high current pulses through a standard glass cased 1N4004. it did produce plenty of infrared....:D of course i later figured out it was just overheating.....

for 6th grade science fair i built a model of the Apollo spacecraft with moving parts and locking docking hatches. i memorized the whole mission plan and could demo it with the models. i also got sent to the principal's office that year for putting a wad of wax and powdered sulfur on a hot radiator and making the boy's restroom smell like rotten eggs...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back