Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming the PIC16F872

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I just finished looking for a programmer on the net, but i could not find a single one that supported the 16F872(then again, i didn't spend too much time looking, only about half an hour or so). Anybody have any nice circuits to program them with?

I know the PIC needs only 2 lines to program it with, but i am not sure which ones. Also, i would prefer the PC interface to be RS232.

Thanks.

Hmm, looks great, but it cost money. Thanks anyways. I am looking for schematics(i would like to use junk i already have).

Look for my earlier postings of a schematic for a programmer...and use IC-prog with it...
You just need to remember that my schematic was showing as programming an 8 pin device.

Data/clk/mclr etc etc are the same, they just go to different pins on the 28 pin 16F872 device.
Also pin 24 (PGM) should be held low via a 4K7 resistor so as not to invoke the low voltage programming.

Last edited:
I searched, but couldn't find it.

Do i use RB6 & RB7?

**broken link removed**

I found the pins for it in a PDF. Now, how would i connect this to the RS232? Also, would it be compatible with MPLAB?

Have a look at this manual page. It doesn't support the 872 but tells you how to add any 16 bit device. The above link and the FAQ that accompanies it should answer all your questions.

It also has this schematic,

**broken link removed**

Mike.
Personally, I'd recommend an Inchworm.

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
Now, how would i connect this to the RS232?[/QUOTE]

That's what you'd call a PIC programmer.

The JDM serial designs are very simple and cheap, and as long as you're using a desktop computer with a non-wimpy serial port they tend to work fine. between ICProg and winpic800, I've never found a PIC I couldn't program with mine. I have several other fancier programmers, including an ICD2, but I always find myself falling back on my good old JDM serial programmer when my fancy ones are having issues.

Marks256 said:
Hmm, looks great, but it cost money. Thanks anyways. I am looking for schematics(i would like to use junk i already have).
What PIC junkbox doesn't include a LM7805, MAX232 and a 16F877 :)

I used only the easy to find stuff in the design. Here's a real simple LVP type programmer schematic, just be careful when setting config fuses...

And yes RB6 = PGD, RB7 = PGC and RB3 = PGM (tie it to gnd to use the PIC after programming)

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back