Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming the F509 with winpicprog. Will it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I bought some 12F509 chips.. Don't ask why..

I burnt the first one with winpicprog, and I think I forgot to check INT OSC, not sure, but the chip does not run.. I used the 12C509 to program it, which is a OTP chip in the old days.

Is there a clever way to erase the chip to I can burn it again? Does the C509 and F509 program the same way? (As Nigel hangs his head)...

I can use the 628a, but like to use the 509's up.

The 12C509 cannot be erased unless it is the JW version with a little window on it to allow it to be erased with UV light.

Mike.

Pommie..

No I have the 12F509 and thought I could program it as a C509 with winpicprog. I programmed it, winpicprog said all is good (and we all know there are a lot of factors after that, program works, fuses, etc). I dropped it in the circuit, and no go.

So I figured I could burn it again. I could not erase it (not an option since I was in C509 mode).

I used Nigel's winpicprog. Maybe I forgot to flip INT OSC ON, as it seems to default to XT as I reloaded the software, but maybe I did flip it on.. Anyway, I can not re-write to the chip.

Only did one chip, have more so not major. But I do not want to waste anymore in the even I toasted it.

I like Nigel's program, since it likes my programmer. So I would like to stay with that. I can use another one if I have too.

Actually, I have some old 508's with the windows and 2 UV erasers in the garage somewhere.. I do but rather fix it with the F509.

Last edited:
In that case, I would highly recomend having a look at Winpic. It supports most hardware (serial and parallel) and a huge range of pics. It also has a very usefull Help Page and FAQ Page.

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

Tried Winpic.. Still no luck, and tried picall as well. Winpic would not verify, and picall did not work at all.

Only one I could get working was Nigel's. I can do a 16F84 no problem with winpicall, and it looks like the 12F509 work the first write. But a verify gives me "Config fuses not blank". Looks like that is coming from the chip, not the .hex file.

I have a P16PRO40 programmer, with 7405 on it and PNP's. winpicprog does work, I just think it does not support the F509.

The Winpic, if I could get it to do the 16F84, I would them make a .INI entry to support the F509.

Mike

mramos1 said:
Only one I could get working was Nigel's. I can do a 16F84 no problem with winpicall, and it looks like the 12F509 work the first write. But a verify gives me "Config fuses not blank". Looks like that is coming from the chip, not the .hex file.

Sorry, but the 12F509 isn't a supported device for WinPicProg, you can't use the 12C509 setting as it's completely different.

The 'Config fuses not blank' message is because WinPicProg checks if an OTP chip is blank before programming it - although there is an option to disable this, so you can program ones to zeros, on an already programmed device (but this won't help you!).

Thanks Nigel.

I wiill see if I can get one of the others working, but I did not recall F509 in them either. I have a nak for getting chips I can not use these days. haha

mramos1 said:
Thanks Nigel.

I wiill see if I can get one of the others working, but I did not recall F509 in them either. I have a nak for getting chips I can not use these days. haha

It should be a pretty easy chip to add, I'll have to see if I can get hold of one, then it's a question of finding time :confused:

I was able to get winpic to work, so I have it programming. Still not running, but it will program and verify.

I do like your programmer better for sure, it handles little things so I do not have to look them up. hehehe.

Pommie, thanks. It did the trick..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back