Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmac

Hi folks,
Needing to work with 16F628A PIC's, I recently upgraded from the Picall 16PRO v.10 to v.13 and then programmer ceased working properly. (using 16F84A)
I use the Kit 96 unit, which worked very well on v0.10 .
The .hex files are compiled with the MicroEngineering PicBasic Compiler program.
However, v0.13 doesn't get past the first byte when attempting to program - the usual error message "buffer = xxxx, device = 3FFF".
I even tried the latest v.15a but the same result.
I have two identical Kit 96's and both give the same result.
Manual testing in Settings Menu didn't show any problem.
My PC is an IBM 166mHz, Windows 98SE.
I tried using my Windows XP machine but no result there either.
I would like to be able to program 16F628A's, so I need the later versions to do so.
Also, I've tried clean installing the files but still no result.
So, I have reverted to v0.10 to at least be able to work 16F84A's.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the cause?
Is there a known conflict associated with Win 98SE and the v.013, v015a?

Regards,
kenmac

Try using WinPicProg, the latest version can be downloaded from the Announcements section of the support forum - it includes specific support for the 16F628A.

Still no joy.
Tried WinPicProg but it stalls at "Program Verify failed at address 0x000, Programming Aborted"
Normally this might indicate that the PIC isn't going into Program Mode, but I don't think this is the case, because it works fine using paw10c.
I am wondering if there is a difference in how the Port driver works for this file versus the later versions?
The file system is 32 bit.
I may have to contact the program designer for help.

kenmac

With WinPicProg you can manually toggle the ouput pins from the Hardware Screen, so you can easily check that the pins on the PIC are switching correctly with a meter.

If the PIC has been programmed before, and it's set to use the internal oscillator, it might be starting oscillating before programming mode can be selected - try reducing Vpp Delay to zero, again it's on the Hardware Screen.

Use a volt meter and check the pins like nigel said. Make sure that they switch fast and to the correct voltage.

Are you using LVP, ICSP, or HVP?
If HVP what voltage are you using?

Also, some programers need a small cap (33pf or so) on Pic data pin.

Kent

It's OK - the WinPicProg is working now.
I just rushed it a bit when trying it for first time and didn't set it up correctly.
I still don't know why the later paw files are a problem, but it doesn't matter now anyway - I will use WinPicProg instead!

thanks for your help

kenmac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back