Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programming pic's in C

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

hey!

could anyone tell me if and how it is possi ble to program PIC's in C?
What do i need for it and is there any tutorials or help files???

um, yes, but you need a C compiler...

CC5x is a popular one, and the one that I use...

there are several others, but I've found CC5x to be the most usable among the free versions

I never found any tutorials, but there are at least some code examples and for the most part CC5x is compatible with standard C (obviously with some extra stuff to deal with PIC internal hardware, etc) so if you know C, you shouldn't have any problem at all with it.

Nigel Goodwin has a bunch of tutorials for pic's on his website,

and he has some pretty good software.

Well, i would go for the c2c compiler, and soon to be released boostc compiler.

There is a free BETA version of the boostc compiler avaliable for download, and the c2c compiler costs only $80. I got my licence off ebay for $35/£20 which was a bargin. Apparently there will be a upgrade to the c2c licence for the boostc licence when it is release.

I have been using it for a couple of weeks and it works pretty well.

Regards,

- Martyn

bloody-orc said:
hey!

could anyone tell me if and how it is possi ble to program PIC's in C?
What do i need for it and is there any tutorials or help files???

Yes, there are plenty of pic C compilers out there, just google.
However, pic16's aren't a realy good for programming in C, their small instruction set makes it hard for a compiler to generate efficient code.
Therefore programming in C will fill even a 'f877 very fast...

If you really want to persue programming in C i suggest the Pic18 series with microchips own C compiler. Or atmel AVR's wich have the advantage of a very good free C compiler.

ok downloaded the MPLAG IDE 7 from microchip site and also the quickstart.pdf but the quickstart says a lot of things there is not(files i must open atc.)i there a better helpstart avalible that goes with MPLAB IDE 7?

There is a also a full users guide which contains info. for all features of MPLAB7. It can be downloaded at the same place where you downloaded the quick start guide.

ok what ever guid i use, all of them are not in date and go not with MPLAB IDE 7. it tells me tu open folders\files i dont have in my PC'

isn't there an tutorials for MPLAB IDE 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back