Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming C in MPLAB

Status
Not open for further replies.
simrantogether said:
Hi,

How can we add the hi tech C or other C compiler engine in MPLAB IDE...

Regards,

Simran..:)
Hi-Tech PICC Lite comes with MPLAB now. If you install the latest version of MPLAB, the setup wizard asks you if you want to install that compiler.
When you start a new project you need to select the proper toolsuite.

I use the free C18 compiler that you can download from Microchip. It does mean you have to switch to the 18 series chips but that isn't a bad thing.

Mike.

Yes Sir...

Pommie said:
I use the free C18 compiler that you can download from Microchip. It does mean you have to switch to the 18 series chips but that isn't a bad thing.

Mike.

Actually Sir , I should... but the company requirement is 16f series...

But it is the wonderful option of downloading the C18 compiler...

I just download it now...

Regards,

Simran..:)

Yeh but i downloaded the latest MPLAB and got the Hi-Tech PICC: I think I might have not done something right. Cos i cant seem to get to start programming.

I have choosen Hi-Tech Universal Language as tool suite. And it says PIC16F87 in the bottom toolbar in MPLAB. What have i done wrong. (I was thinking about making a make file that would be universal so that i can choose device later on in ordser to get started with the programming.)

Last edited:
Kryten said:
Yeh but i downloaded the latest MPLAB and got the Hi-Tech PICC: I think I might have not done something right. Cos i cant seem to get to start programming.

I should have posted before, however, your confusion may stem from the fact that this is NOT the Hi-Tech compiler, this is the CCS PICC compiler for the 12fxx devices, not for 16fxx. If you want the free version of the 16F compiler from CCS, go to their website:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/downloads.php
and download it.
If you want the Hi-Tech free version of their compiler for 16F series, you must go to their site and download it:
http://www.htsoft.com/downloads/demos.php
or the page which explains their mid-range tools:
**broken link removed**

There is a review of these, and the IAR (less popular) here:
http://www.microchipc.com/reviews/Hi-Tech_C/index.php

Be advised, that the commercial version prices are VERY different. CCS is around a hundred dollars per family, Hi-Tech is around a thousand.
Hi-Tech is, arguably, closer to ANSI, than CCS is.

One of the best deals on a C compiler for mid-range chips is Source Boost. It feels very close to Hi-Tech's offering, yet only costs around fifty dollars:
http://www.sourceboost.com/Products/BoostC/Overview.html
They also provide a free, code limited (like CCS and Hi-Tech) version.

edit:
BoostC Full License US $69.95 no limitations:
The full license has unlimited RAM and ROM usage. Suitable for projects of all shapes and sizes. The definite choice of the serious programmer. Non-commercial use.

BoostC Pro License US $149.95

The Pro License has unlimited RAM and ROM usage. The correct choice for the professional programmer. This license allows commercial use. The BoostC Pro license also comes with a single user source code license for Novo RTOS.

Hi-Tech promotes SALVO as a RTOS, which is also priced at over a thousand. Boost seems like a very good bargan!

Last edited:
Kryten said:
Are Boost C a stand-alone C programmer/compiler? or "plugin" in MPLAB ?

Can be used with its own IDE (stand alone) or can be used in MPLab with a plug in.

I would suggest taking them all for a spin to find out which one you like best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back