Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programming a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

ok. i want to biuld this circuit: **broken link removed** .
the circuit is preety easy. but i have a bit of a problem. i really don't know what are the steps to be followed in order to get the pic working.
i have 2 programmers, the JDM and another one similar. i want to use IC prog for programming.
but how to i convert the text, the program, into binary required for the PIC?
can somebody guide me trough?
also, a second thing is: can i use a RC osc in place of the Quartz(rezonator). i don't have one available, and i cannot order just one component over the net.
so, please, any adivice is welcomed.

What you need is a complier. Most programer need a HEX file to be able to "burn" the code into the PIC. Whatever language you use you are going to need a compiler that can generate the HEX file for that PIC you are using so that you can use the programmer.

There free route is going with microchip free assembler compiler. IF you know assembler and don't mind the time consuming programming then that is the route. IF your code get fairly complex or you need faster developing time PICBASIC is a great route to take. If you want to go even more professional way you can get one of those extra expensive C compilers.... and so on.

The programmer allows you to specify what type of "clock" you can use. For example my EPIC programmer software allows you to choose between XT, RC, and something else I can't remember. Check the datasheet as well since they tell you what components are best to use for a good frequency. Also there are some PICs with internal Oscilator so that you don't need those external parts.

Hope it helps you some

Ivancho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back