Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming a PIC over a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefer3

Hey all
Does anyone have any info on how to program a PIC over a LAN via a web server such as the Siteplayer and similar devices?

Basically, what I would like to accomplish is to write the code and send it over the LAN to the Siteplayer and then have the Siteplayer "burn" the code into the PIC.

I have been able to commmunicate to the Siteplayer from a PIC16F877A and vise versa. So I do know how to communicate serially with the two.

Does this question fall into the same catagory as having a Bootloader (something new and a bit confusing to me)on a PIC?

As always, any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Beefer3 said:
Does this question fall into the same catagory as having a Bootloader (something new and a bit confusing to me)on a PIC?

If you can communicate with the pic then you can use a bootloader.
A bootloader is a program you put into the pic once (using a normal programmer). It can use all resources of the pic to communicate and then, when data is recieved burn it to the pic's own program memory.

As Exo says, if you have a serial connection between the PC and the PIC you can use a bootloader to program the PIC - although you would have to ensure a suitable program at the PC side.

To do it over a LAN, you would probably have to arrange that as well, but it would certainly be possible.

The main question though is WHY?, it seems a fairly strange thing to want to do?, can you explain why you are asking about it?.

The main question though is WHY?, it seems a fairly strange thing to want to do?, can you explain why you are asking about it?.

Actually, I do not find it strange at all.

Let me give an example. Lets say I have a temperature controlling device of some sort that is run off a PIC. Now assume this device is on the other side of a complex and I want to burn new firmware into the PIC. I could walk :( across the complex and retrieve the PIC and re-program it. But it would be alot easier if I could do it over a LAN :) .

I have gone to www.microchipc.com and read their bootloader webpage. It seems fairly easy to accomplish the bootloader portion of this. Correct :? ?

Hopefully I have explained it a bit more clearly.

Anymore suggestions Nigel?

Thanks

I think you should consider bootloader and LAN as two isolated things.
To be able to communicate with LAN, you will probably need a network module or some interfacing. Its function is something similiar with RS232, that is, to communicate.

While bootloader's function is obtain the codes from outside world through RS232, or LAN; then place it into memory.

To my knowledge, PIC16F877 has no built in LAN function, probably need a network module.

Currently, I am working on Zilog eZ80 Acclaim! development board. Its bundled with a ethernet module, i can download my code through network. I dont really know how it works, i just need to set the IP address, and click "Connect", it is kind of convenient.

Beefer3 said:
I have gone to www.microchipc.com and read their bootloader webpage. It seems fairly easy to accomplish the bootloader portion of this. Correct :? ?

Hopefully I have explained it a bit more clearly.

Anymore suggestions Nigel?

I've used the bootloader code from there, it works really well, I looked at various other ones, but this seemed the best - it has the huge advantage that it only requires two I/O pins - for a standard RS232 port. Many others use a third I/O pin to initiate the bootloader, this one just checks the serial port for a short time during boot up.

You will have to initiate a reset immediately before starting loading, so you will need a third connection - either to the reset pin, or by switching the supply to the PIC.

The best option is to build an Ethernet module by yourself wich is very easy to do with an 8 bits port of the pic, so it's parallel interface, try the Packet Whacker from Realtek the major Ethernet Board chip's maker :D
-> RTL8019 if you need a circuit i can give but i must scan it.
The chip's is like the name says a Packet Whacker, huh, it takes the data and send it over a LAN, but you will need to adapt the boot loader to work with the parallel 8bits port or using other mean, but i just know that the best option is the packet whacker :lol: i don't have used one yet but they can be found on any ethernet board if not that IC model check the datasheet for more info on it and the data that outputs and inputs :D
i hope i helped ! bye..

You can give to me any schematic to work with the Microchip tcp/ip stack with the RSL8019AS?

I have it in a ISA Card.

Sincerely Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back