Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmer vs. ICD ( In Circuit Debugger ) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

I wanted to know the difference between ' A Programmer ' and ' In Circuit Debugger ' ...

also as how the ICD is helpful over the Programmer...

Can anyone please tell...

Regards

Simran..:)

A programmer can program a chip.

A debugger allows you to debug the program.
You can set break points, run the program till it hits a breakpoint, single step the program, and examine the value of variables & registers when the program is not running.

An ICD (In Circuit Debugger) is a debugger that runs code on the target.

A simulator is a debugger that runs code on a simulation of a target.

An ICD2 is both a programmer and an ICD.

There are a lot of people who do quite well without a ICD. However Wekipedia says

The importance of a good debugger cannot be overstated. Indeed, the existence and quality of such a tool for a given language and platform can often be the deciding factor in its use, even if another language/platform is better-suited to the task.
Wekipedia goes on to talk about timing problems that can be introduced by debuggers.

Very good debugging tools do not effect the timming of the program under test. They are expensive.

3v0 said:
A programmer can program a chip.

A simulator is a debugger that runs code on a simulation of a target.

An ICD2 is both a programmer and an ICD.

There are a lot of people who do quite well without a ICD. However Wekipedia says

Wekipedia goes on to talk about timing problems that can be introduced by debuggers.

Very good debugging tools do not effect the timming of the program under test. They are expensive.

If a smulator is a debugger, MPLAB has one and it can perform single stepping, skipping lines etc,

But...

I feel debuggers are of two types..

Software debugger.. that a simulator is there...

Hard ware debugger... that is connected with the pic controller and the inside process we can see on the computer screen...

if I am right then this is also an In circuit debugger...

www.blueroomelectronics.com

Regards,

Simran..

Please tell me am i right...

Is this sentence a definition on IDE..

" Hard ware debugger... that is connected with the pic controller and the inside process we can see on the computer screen... "

Regards,

Simran..

simrantogether said:
Please tell me am i right...

Is this sentence a definition on IDE..

" Hard ware debugger... that is connected with the pic controller and the inside process we can see on the computer screen... "

No, I suggest you try looking up what IDE stands for?.

Sorry...

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, I suggest you try looking up what IDE stands for?.

Sorry.. silly mistake... I am familiar with IDE..

I meant ICD... In Circuit Debugger...

Am I right... Is the definition true that..

Regards,

Simran..

simrantogether said:
Sorry.. silly mistake... I am familiar with IDE..

I meant ICD... In Circuit Debugger...

Am I right... Is the definition true that..

That's pretty well it - ones like the ICD2 use special features of the processor, which costs you a couple of I/O pins. Professional ones use special chips (at HUGE!!! expense) which don't have this limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back