Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programmer serial port vs. laptop with usb port

Status
Not open for further replies.

crys

our project for this semester is to build a mobot using PIC16F877A. with all the other problems i have(designing the circuit of the sensor and comparator, and making a program for the servo motor), our teacher made us buy a programmer that uses a serial port cable. now, before the semester started, i pressured my dad to buy me a lap top, anticipating the project. we are poor so im making a big deal of this... laptops dnt have serial prts.. only usb. can i just buy a serial port to usb adaptor? the programmer cant be returned anyway.. :(

It depends on the exact programmer, most so called 'serial port' programmers don't use the serial port at all, just some of the handshake lines - these are VERY unlikely to work with a converter, If the programmer has a processor on it, and is fed by the serial port correctly, then a converter should work fine.

wont my laptop or programmer get ruined? i dont want to test directly cuz seriously, if either one of them is damaged, ill be seeing you in heaven(ok, mayb an exaggeration)... and the tutorials, i went there but i dnt understand the way it works yet,.. thnx anyway! =)

Try mentioning what type of programmer it is, then we may be able to make suggestions - so far I would suggest you look at buying a real USB programmer, like the PICKit2, you might check the Junebug on these forums, which is a clone of it.

kuya[big bro], i know i REALLY sound dumb for a 4th year student in engineering but i dont know what type of programmer it is... all i know is that its a serial port programmer for a PIC16F877A.. im so sorry for the trouble! =,(

Hi,
Maybe you should leave your serial programmer.
Once you get to use the PICKit2, you won't want to use other programmer anymore :).

crys said:
kuya[big bro], i know i REALLY sound dumb for a 4th year student in engineering but i dont know what type of programmer it is... all i know is that its a serial port programmer for a PIC16F877A.. im so sorry for the trouble! =,(
Your teacher made you( a team of students), buy a programmer, right? Then he/she can tell what type programmer is it? Perhaps the shop who sold the items to you can also tell and provide you some additional data regarding that programmer.

If you own the programmer, even otherwise, will you not find a single clue to see the programmer and get some name as found on it.? may be maker, model, brand name,-- if nothing is possible, perhaps you can take a usermanual and extract a photograph and upload it so that some one can try to identify that? perhaps you can make little more effort to help yourself, i personally feel.

Last edited:
Cry:
Here is the run down. The use of a non serial port laptop or even computer for that matter (see Dell :) ) forces you to buy hardware to work with a serial programmer. That hardware will span from $10 - $30. The cheaper the more likely it will not work as a good converter. You might even have to buy two converters as I once had to just to find a good one.

Now you can just buy the right hardware the first time and get a PICkit2 or clone. It WILL program faster, will consume less space, and is self power through the USB connection. The Start kit is $50 and the programmer alone is $35. Starter kit not needed. Spend the $35 + 5 for priority mail and have your programmers worries done in 3 days. Get your group to form a collection, fund or what not. If they don't want to pitch in, then take the initiative. The programmer is a real investment. Since you are likely to spend some money, best not to spend in on patches, fixes, and band-aids.

Now if the presented serial programmer is a mandatory requirement, I feel for you. Not really. But I would question the deliberate undoing of a decade of continual electronic advancement if i were you. My 2 cents.

Hi, i would have to agree with what people have said above, i only have a PicKit2 (but i would assume the clone is just as good). Its not a production programmer, but as a hobbiest programmer it has NEVER let me down. Programs any chip i have ever used, but i do check to make sure that the chips are compatible before i buy them. I find the software easy to install and use, and especially the latest revision of the pickit2 software, which will allow you to re-program after changing you hex file, with just one click.

I use it on both laptop and desktop computers without any problems.

i would love to buy the kits you mentioned, and i know they're great but i dnt have money, let alone 'dollar' money... i gues i just have to do with what i have.. so sorry guyz, and thanx for your advices! if i do have money when i have a job, ill make this project a hobby! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back