Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmer help for PIC24F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

You can program the pic24Fs with the Microchip Pickit2 or as you prefer a diy one, the Pickit2 Lite diy clone featured in this forum.

At first look the diy unit will only do 5v chips, but all thats needed it to cut the usb input 5v rail to the whole circuit and insert a 3v regulator so the Pickit happily programs the pic24s at 3v.

Actually proved this last night with both a proper pk2 and my diy clone.

Attachments

• pic24.jpg
    pic24.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 315
I also have a custom made PIC16 and PIC18 burner for 40 pin series (DIP)

however the PIC24F i am trying to burn has 100 pins and will not fit on this custom programmer :p

is there any custom burner for such.

the Pickit2 Lite diy clone featured in this forum
Can you please post the link of the featured entry

Last edited:
however the PIC24F i am trying to burn has 100 pins and will not fit on this custom programmer
You could put a header on the target PCB and program it in-circuit as long as the attached circuitry doesn't interfere with programming.

oh wow i didnt know that existed :) I thought it was like to debug in-circuit.

the ICSP pins (RB0,RB7,Vpp,5V,GND) are same for all PIC series ? Also which software to use to burn the program, MPLAB ICD 2 ?

You can use the PICKIT, ICD2, etc with MPLAB to do ICSP for any PIC. The key to doing ICSP is to ensure that the ICSP pins are connected to circuitry which doesn't interfere with the programming signals. The Vpp/MCLR pin is the most sensitive to this issue because the programmer will put up to 13V on it during programming.

Thank you very much, i will try that.

One more problem i was facing the other day.

I have a programmer for PIC with 40 pins and i was programming PIC16F877A. After when the code was burned successfully (it worked on my trainer board) i placed it in a circuit for which the code was written for (LED blinking on PORTD). The program runs fine but after like reseting the PIC two three times, the code somehow gets out of the PIC and i have to reprogram it again after which it works fine for a while.

Can it be my circuit issue or is there some coding program in this?

That is unusual. Never seen a PIC accidentally reprogram itself, but it is possible to do this via code with some PICs like the PIC16F877A. If the code worked fine on the trainer board, but erased or reprogrammed itself in your own circuit, then it sounds like a hardware issue. Could you post a schematic and/or the code?

sorry the code and the exact schematic is back at the university.

However the in schematic, only port D is being used to light up LEDs in a pattern stored in array. Other than that just a crystal of 4MHz with two caps 33pF. Also resistors with LEDs and one resistor with MCLR (10K). Nothing more.

I will post the code once i get back to university.

One more small question. If PIC24FJ128GA010 is 3.3V based and another PIC18F4520 is 5V based, will it be possible to connect them both to make them communicate (parallel communication) or will i need to add some buffer in between.

If a buffer is required, will it allow both direction data flow?

If you used the PIC18LF4520 you could run it at 3.3V too.
The PIC24FJ128GA010 has some 5V tolerant, digital only, inputs which could be interfaced directly to 5V logic. You would need to interface these to TTL level pins on the PIC18F4520 if you want to avoid using a buffer chip.
You can get bidirectional buffers.

No, you can only use IO pins which don't have an analog function. ie: You cannot use PORTB because they are capable of analog modes (ADC, comparator, etc) even if you configure them as digital IO. This extract from the datasheet shows that the digital pins will tolerate up to 5.5V but any pin with analog capability can only tolerate up to Vdd (3.3V).

Attachments

• PIC24FJ128GA010 Fam.PNG
    PIC24FJ128GA010 Fam.PNG
    45.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back