Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programmer chip compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardoco

I have a velleman 8048 programmer with 8pin,14pin,18pin and 28pin 300mil dil sockets but there is no documentation including the 28pin dip socket can anyone shed any light on which chips will be compatable an what the criteria is for compatability thankyou :D :D

Ricardoco said:
I have a velleman 8048 programmer with 8pin,14pin,18pin and 28pin 300mil dil sockets but there is no documentation including the 28pin dip socket can anyone shed any light on which chips will be compatable an what the criteria is for compatability thankyou :D :D

Any serially programmed PIC's in that package!, the one I mostly use is the 16F876, but they all use the same connections for programming in the same package.

The supported chips should be listed in the programmer software, it's mostly that (rather than the hardware) which limits the PIC's you can program.

Ahhh

thanks nigel, hmmm does that mean that if i wanted to program a 40pin chip for example i could rig up a circuit to piggy back the original circuit with a 40 pin socket on it?

Re: Ahhh

Ricardoco said:
thanks nigel, hmmm does that mean that if i wanted to program a 40pin chip for example i could rig up a circuit to piggy back the original circuit with a 40 pin socket on it?

Yes you could, a 16F876 (28 pin) and a 16F877 (40 pin) are just versions of the same chip. You just need to make sure you connect the correct pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back