Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmable device

Status
Not open for further replies.

ese

Hey,

Don't know if it's the right place for this but...
I'm looking for a device with a small screen and buttons like a simple cellular phone i can program.
I have no idea where to start looking for such device.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Hmmm... that's not very specific. In order to make recommendations, we need to know alot more about what your're trying to do. I feel compelled to tell you to buy a programmable calculator or PDA, but I don't know what you mean when you say you want to "program"

Last edited:
Well, there's the AVR butterfly.
not exactly a celular phone, but it has a screen, some buttons and can be programmed to do whatever you want(within reason)
read that page i linked, i'm not too familiar with it myself, but have heard things about it.
[EDIT]
youtube has a few examples of what can be done with it.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ,

What i need is a device i can code some menus into it and make it do some simple calculations.
the reason i said i need it to be like a cell phone is because the user will need to input numbers and letters
and will also have to browse the menus. i don't need a mobile phone with the ability to phone.
hope that's was detailed enough.

Cheers

I've never played with PDA's very much, but they don't usually have phones in them. I'm sur someone who uses them will make suggestions for specific ones.

Or try entering 'cheap pda' in google.

PDA's were all the rage a few years ago, before smart phones. Now, their functionality have been integrated into the phones. There are probably still some stand-alone units around, though support might not be the best anymore. Otherwise, you can just wire up a PIC, LCD and a keypad, or use one of the many development systems that are available that already have these components.

i appreciate the help guys

But i'm actually looking for a simple device clean from any software that i can program.
I'm sorry i'm a programmer and i know nothing about electronics that's why i don't even know what to look for on google. (i did search some on google but
but i know it has to be as simple device as it can be with screen and keys.

i appreciate the help guys

But i'm actually looking for a simple device clean from any software that i can program.
I'm sorry i'm a programmer and i know nothing about electronics that's why i don't even know what to look for on google. (i did search some on google but
but i know it has to be as simple device as it can be with screen and keys.

You're not going to find such a device - there's no market for it. You could certainly build one, but it's not really a simple device and it's not likely to be cheap - all depending on EXACTLY what you want it to do. If all you want is a text LCD and a keypad, then check my tutorials - something that basic is easy and cheap.

oh yes, all i need is a text lcd and keypad that has numbers and letters.
then i'll program it the way i wanna.
i just need the electronics built and ready to go.
sorry if i wasn't clear in the first place.

i'm going to china next month i think i'll look for a place where they can make the electronic device for me and i'll just do the coding.
i just wanted to see if i can make a sample model but because i suck with electronics i thought i could buy a device ready for programing.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you can get your hands on the November 2009 Circuit Cellar magizine, they detail a project that uses the HP20b financial calculator, which is built on an Atmel SOC patform, and reprogramms it to use as their own development system. It has a keypad, display and palm size form factor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back