Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programing a Microcontroller with an FPGA board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahkistler

Hey all, I just ran across this site, and hoped someone might be able to answer a question of mine, or if not point me in the right direction.

I recently picked up an altera cyclone ii FPGA dev board FPGA Board, FPGA Development Kit
after using it in a class and realizing it's potential for rapid prototyping.

Since an FPGA can mimic any electronic circuit, I was wondering how difficult it would be to use this dev board as a programmer for a microcontroller? I'm decently competent at Verilog, so if no one knows if the code's been written before, I'm all for giving it a shot, but I'm just not too clear on what is NECESSARY for programming a microcontroller.

The microcontroller I have on hand is a PIC16f877.

Right now I'm reading through Nigel's PIC tutorial page

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Adam Kistler
Elec. Eng. UCDavis class of 2011 (hopefully)

Full details of the programming requirements can be downloaded from MicroChip, note there are MANY different algorithms used, not just one.

I wouldn't have thought anyone has done it before, it seems a pretty pointless way to build a programmer?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back