Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

program for writing and testing circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

luca-deltodesco

im using a program now, crocodile technology, which is fine, except that its rather slow for what i want to use it for

ive made myself a little project of designing a circuit using no microcontrollers, only hard wired for a programmable buggy, by which the user inputs commands for the buggy to do, and press a button to do it.

however, this is alot of stuff, ive already researched, and found out how SRAM works and have designed a circuit, which would be in an IC for 32 bytes of 8 bit memory, and everything

the problem with the program, is that its so slow, this is obviously a very large circuit in comparison to what this program was aimed at, and before ive even got 4 bytes of memory down in the circuit, its lagging just trying to display it all

i had a program a while ago, that began with an 'M' but i cant remember its name, and my google searches have been fruitless, and im just looking for a good program.

the other problem with the program, is you cant create custom IC's, there is a 'blocks' system which is similar to creating custom IC's but its rather glitchy and not very good, im looking for a program that i can design and simulate my circuit on, that wont lag like this one does, and allows custom IC's, like with programming and OOP, it would be alot better having a byte of memory as an IC, and then encapsulate the array of bytes and the controllers and decoders into another IC, rather than having it all on the screen at once.

luca-deltodesco said:
ive made myself a little project of designing a circuit using no microcontrollers, only hard wired for a programmable buggy, by which the user inputs commands for the buggy to do, and press a button to do it.

By definition a programmable system is a computer - so your idea is a really silly one! - essentially you want to build a computer from discrete components?.

Assuming you really want to do something so silly?, make sure you start off with a big enough buggy, a small car or pickup truck should be about right!.

i mean programmable as in you key in a set of pre defined functions for it to do, and then it will run through what you keyed in and do them, i.e. you can tell it to move: foward right left back pause back left left foward right pause back

then press another button, and it will go through them all doing each one, which is essentially programming it

what difference is this, giving the buggy a set of actions to do, and then it runs through and doing them,
and writing a program, in which you set out a set of actions to be done, and the processor runs through doing them?
obviously this is very simple in comparison

anyways, i only told you that, to give a bit of background to what im doing, my question was on a piece of software, better than the one i have for designing and simulating circuits

Last edited:
luca-deltodesco said:
i mean programmable as in you key in a set of pre defined functions for it to do, and then it will run through what you keyed in and do them, i.e. you can tell it to move: foward right left back pause back left left foward right pause back

then press another button, and it will go through them all doing each one, which is essentially programming it

what difference is this, giving the buggy a set of actions to do, and then it runs through and doing them,
and writing a program, in which you set out a set of actions to be done, and the processor runs through doing them?
obviously this is very simple in comparison

Simpler, but STILL a computer, and NOT a trivial thing to build - completely pointless in the 21st century when a single PIC chip can do the job and costs hardly anything. If you don't want to use something like a PIC, then I suggest you go mechanical, and use punched cards - or something similar?.

I doubt you're going to find a simulator that allows the degree of complexity you're looking for?, or (if you do) you have sufficient time to design the computer?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back