Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Program downloading error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabhishek91

Hi everyone.:)
I am using Ponyser SPI programmer to program ATmega32 via Ponyprog software.

First, i tried in my laptop interfacing the programmer ( via USB to RS232 converter). It didn't work [Somewhere in the internet i read that it is damn slow]

So i decided to do my work in desktop. I connected RS232 cable to its port, selected the respective COM port and tried programming . I got the following error.:confused:
"Device missing or Unknown device". I have attached the screenshot for reference.

This is my first attempt of downloading the program onto MUC. Please correct my mistakes.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Ponyprog-error.jpg
    Ponyprog-error.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 405
are you sure the port you connected to is serial port? what kind of serial cable you use? is is straight through or null modem? is it the same cable you had connected to USB-RS232 converter?

are you sure the port you connected to is serial port? what kind of serial cable you use? is is straight through or null modem? is it the same cable you had connected to USB-RS232 converter?

"Are you sure the port you connected to is serial port?"- Yes sir. I tried several times i got the same error but once i got "write failed"

Sir i use RS232 cable to interface PC to programmer and SPI cable to interface programmer to MCU board.

i have a bag of at least 20 different RS232 cables and who knows how many adapters. I used to carry them around when answering service calls but fortunately for me, most of the devices these days are using ethernet or USB. just because cable is RS232 and mates with connectors on both devices, it is not guaranteed that this is correct RS232 cable where all lines are interconnected correctly. hence you still did not answer my question.

when debugging anything, important thing is to rule out one part of the system at a time (regardless how small step is).
1. did you verify that RS232 on that computer works? how did you confirm this?
2. did you verify that cable is correct? how did you confirm this?
etc.

i have a bag of at least 20 different RS232 cables and who knows how many adapters. I used to carry them around when answering service calls but fortunately for me, most of the devices these days are using ethernet or USB. just because cable is RS232 and mates with connectors on both devices, it is not guaranteed that this is correct RS232 cable where all lines are interconnected correctly. hence you still did not answer my question.

when debugging anything, important thing is to rule out one part of the system at a time (regardless how small step is).
1. did you verify that RS232 on that computer works? how did you confirm this?
2. did you verify that cable is correct? how did you confirm this?
etc.

"did you verify that RS232 on that computer works? how did you confirm this?"- No sir i didn't verify its connectivity. Sir please tell me how to confirm it ?

Has the programmer worked before, or is this the first time you try it? That "Ponyser" programmer does not convince me.. looks like crap. And if you are using it through cheap usb-rs232 converter I am not surprised that it does not work. Cheap converters are also crap. I've had that problem couple of times.. system does not work -> change to proper rs232 -> system starts working. I bet the cheap-ass "Ponyser" programmer is designed for certain rs232 voltage levels and your usb-rs232 thingy just does not provide the levels that are needed.

Last edited:
Has the programmer worked before, or is this the first time you try it? That "Ponyser" programmer does not convince me.. looks like crap. And if you are using it through cheap usb-rs232 converter I am not surprised that it does not work. Cheap converters are also crap. I've had that problem couple of times.. system does not work -> change to proper rs232 -> system starts working. I bet the cheap-ass "Ponyser" programmer is designed for certain rs232 voltage levels and your usb-rs232 thingy just does not provide the levels that are needed.

I am using it for first time brother but a friend of mine has used it several times in her desktop via RS232 cable.

I am using it for first time brother but a friend of mine has used it several times in her desktop via RS232 cable.

Ask her for help.. or try another usb-rs232 cable (or computer with proper rs232 port). It is very difficult to debug hardware over the internet.. half across the world.

If you have the tools, you could measure the signals of the programmer. See if they are any good.

Not sure if it would make any difference for you, but with a certain ham radio program that I use, a FTDI cable will work, but cables using the prolific chip will cause all kinds of connection problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back