Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Progpic2 Programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

david miles

Hi.
I am just starting with pic programming.

I have just got my Velleman 8048 programmer board and included software working ( thanks to help from this board! )and have managed to get the example led programme working OK.

Next, I tried to grab some simple programmes off the web, to blink a led. Although I have saved these programmes as .HEX files, each time I try to get the programme into the chip via the Progpic2 software, I get either "com-init-error" or "no config-word in file!" messages. Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

David Miles.

Are the HEX files the correct ones for the PIC you're trying to program?.

The "no config-word in file!" message means just that, that the config fuse information isn't included in the HEX file - a very poor piece of programming!, and it's hardly difficult?.

The code is for a 16F84. I am using a 16F84A. The code examples ( timer1 )are from:-http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~tdn26/IntrotoPic/IntroToPic.html

I managed to compile the "timer1" code with MPASM, but I get the "no config-word in file!" when I try to use Progpic2.

Any ideas?

David Miles.

david miles said:
The code is for a 16F84. I am using a 16F84A. The code examples ( timer1 )are from:-http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~tdn26/IntrotoPic/IntroToPic.html

I managed to compile the "timer1" code with MPASM, but I get the "no config-word in file!" when I try to use Progpic2.

Any ideas?

David Miles.

You need to specify the fuse settings you want in the source code, you use the '__CONFIG' directive to do so - if you check my tutorials I just use the HEX value of the settings I want, but you can specify the individual bits, however I find it rather long winded!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back