Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Processor Motherboard relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsahmed

I upgraded my computer to P4 1.7 Ghz, but the motherboard didnt have an AGP port. Now I find a very nice one, from Intel, with 5 PCI slots, AGP, SATA, 8 USB ports. The only catch is that Intel recommends 512KB cache processors, mine, otherwise compatible, has only 256KB. I wanted to know if it is such a big deal, since cache is controlled by the processing unit, not the mother board?

which board did you buy?

and if the board says that it supports your processor then its okay. having a processor with more cache is always a good thing. this totally depends on how much you are willing to invest in your upgrade. you have said that you have bought a new board that has SATA so it must be a newer model and it might have costed you some serious amount. so if you think that its not the time to buy a new processor then dont buy it. but as i have said, a processor with a bigger cache is always good.

by the way does the board have PCI-X. actually if you want to have good re-sale value then you must buy a board that has PCI-X because it has replaced the old PCI which was parallel in operation. but if you have got the board in your hand and opened the box then its alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back