Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Processing/Sampling IF(IQ) signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

himadri117

Signal Characteristics: The IF (I/Q) signal consists of a DC component and an AC component.

DC Component: 2.52V; AC Component: 1.72 – 2.04 V (V P-P); BW: 20Hz - 500kHz; Power: 20dB

Requirement: Now I want to digitize this signal for further processing. I prefer a sampling at 1 MSPS with ADC and then porting digital data to PC using a FPGA over SPI interface.

Problem: The problem is, the signal with DC and AC component ranges from 3.5V to -1.5V with 2.5V from DC and almost 1V from positive cycle or negative cycle of the AC signal. Now I can use a coupled capacitor to block the DC and use the AC for processing. My choice of ADC reference voltage is almost 2V-2.5V (for good resolution usability of ADC) so the signal can be amplified. But this signal have a negative part which I think is not good for a linear behavious for the ADC, as it has no negative reference voltage level. ADC reference is from 1V-5V. Using a rectifier is not a good choice from my view.

Question: How can I digitize this signal? Also comment on my views if not correct as I have only theoretical knowledge and never worked on a practical project.

To do this you would:

- Block the DC component of a signal with a capacitor with adequate reactance as to not cause an undesired amplitude/phase shift at the lowest frequency of interest. This would depend heavily in the input impedance of the converter block you intend to use.
- You would, as necessary, scale this signal so that its absolute voltage range best-matched the converter that you plan to use. This could be an upward scaling (amplification) to make maximum use of the A/D converter's dynamic range - leaving enough "headroom" for excursions of the signal that might occur (e.g. fluctuations, noise spikes, etc.) or a downward scaling (attenuation) to prevent clipping/damage.
- Apply a DC offset to the signal so that, under no-signal conditions, the input rested at "mid scale" of the converter. For a converter with an "unsigned" output, this would be at half of its range (e.g. around 32768 for a 16 bit converter) or for a converter the spat out signed numbers, something around "zero." (One may easily be converted to the other in software.)

In your case, I can't quite figure out your signal specifications, but let's take it this way:

- Assume that the signal has 2 volts pk/pk and that its source impedance is quite low (e.g. the output of an op amp.)
- Run it through a blocking capacitor, and because we are doing this, the DC present becomes irrelevant. A 1uF would be adequate for 20 kHz unless the loading impedance if the A/D is really low.
- Use a resistive divider to set the voltage on the A/D converter side of that blocking capacitor to a voltage equal to ONE HALF of your A/D reference for a "centering" voltage.

You would then have a 2 volt pk/pk signal that was centered on the A/D's range.

Now, if your 2 volt pk/pk is the absolute maximum that can possibly occur due to clipping that can occur elsewhere, and the A/D reference is set to say, 2.5 volts - which implies a 0-5 volt A/D range, you are short-changing your dynamic range by well over 6dB, so a bit of amplification would be in order to bring the signal up a bit. If it is possible that there are even occasional excursions that might take that 2 volt pk-pk signal higher than that you might consider leaving it alone so that there is plenty of headroom for dealing with these transients.

As for the derivation of the A/D voltage reference for biasing: In the example above a simple resistive divider might be used - say, a pair of 1k resistors from a 5 volt supply to give 2.5 volts if your A/D was run (and referenced) from that. If you had an inverting amplifier in the front of the A/D converter to amplify this, you'd apply that "centering" voltage to the non-inverting input that you would normally "ground" which would then "steer" the output to the centering voltage, regardless of the input signal/gain.

Now, some A/D-D/A codec chips have built in reference voltage generators that are brought out externally that represent the ""Mid" supply voltage, already divided-by-two. These cannot be used directly as they are typically high impedance, but a unity-gain follower op amp may be used to buffer these and provide a replica (plus/minus the op amp's offset voltage!) of that and this may be fed to the input via a resistor - or to the noninverting input of an op amp as noted above. Other A/D converters have a separate A/D reference block, separate from the power supply voltage, that represents the full-scale voltage, that is brought out as well and this, too, could be fed into an op-amp unity-gain follower, but it then have to be divided-in-half to get that "centering" voltage.

Finally, you made no mention of it, but be sure that your input signal has no spectral content above 350-400 kHz (and absolutely NOTHING above 500 kHz) or else Nyquist will bite you! If it does, you'll need to consider the implementation of a low-pass filter and/or an increase of the sample rate! (If your signal of interest is always guaranteed to be the same, narrow frequency band in that 20-500 kHz frequency range, you may be able to sample at a LOWER rate and save a lot of processing horsepower!)

I hope that this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back