Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problems with soft uart strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

toozie21

So I dusted off some old code recently and since i am on a new PC now I needed to install the latest Pic Simulator. Once done I went to simulate, but I cannot seem to send a string of characters to the PIC (which I thought I could before). I have a GPS parser that looks at a GPS sentence and set the day/time accordingly, but using the Software UART interface only allows me to send one character at a time (which takes forever).

I could have sworn that my old version allowed me to paste in a whole character string, hit send, and let it crunch away. Am I losing my mind, or is there a way to still do that?

Thanks,
~Jason

So I dusted off some old code recently and since i am on a new PC now I needed to install the latest Pic Simulator. Once done I went to simulate, but I cannot seem to send a string of characters to the PIC (which I thought I could before). I have a GPS parser that looks at a GPS sentence and set the day/time accordingly, but using the Software UART interface only allows me to send one character at a time (which takes forever).

I could have sworn that my old version allowed me to paste in a whole character string, hit send, and let it crunch away. Am I losing my mind, or is there a way to still do that?

Thanks,
~Jason

hi Jason,
Which simulator are you using.?

A look at your code would be helpful.

EDIT:
If its Oshonsoft Sim, this the method used.
Some examples:

DEFINE SEROUT_DELAYUS = 5000
SEROUT PORTC.6, 1200, "Hello world!", CrLf
DIM I AS BYTE loop:
SERIN PORTC.7, 9600, I
SEROUT PORTC.6, 9600, "Number: ", #I, CrLf
GOTO loop

EDIT2:
You can use the Hardware UART for sending strings to the Sim program, set the TX and RX lines to suit.

Last edited:
Hi Eric, it is the most recent PICSIMIDE (6.86). The code works (because I had tested it when I first wrote it), it is the simulator I am having issues with (since it used to work, I assume I either don't remember, or what I want to do moved to a new window).

I think your second edit might be the answer. I want to send an string of characters into the PIC via 4800 baud serial (simulating a GPS device hooked up to the PIC). If I use the software UART, it will allow me to send one char at a time and I can see the code receiving the chars. But you think the hardware UART will do the whole sentence (I am at work, so I am gathering data for when I get home), what is the difference in the hardware/software UART in the simulator?

Thanks for all the help!!!!
~Jason

hi Jason,
Tried the HW and software UART combination, it will not accept it.???

The HW UART will accept a string for transmission.

Will keep trying a few ideas.

Thanks for checking on it Eric.

Are you saying it worked for you, or that you are seeing a similar problem?

~Jason

EDIT: I think I have found my problem. When I originally wrote the code, PICSIM didn't support the hardware UART, so I was using the Serin commands. You need to use the soft serial window for that (and it doesn't allow strings). I changed to use the HSerin and not I can use the hardware serial window which does allow the transmission of strings and all seems to be working (at least in simulation, and that is 1/2 the battle). Now to see how well it works in the hardware! Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back