Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with Electronic waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

oPiaNts

We are in the 21st century and the use of microchips and other electronic devices has been a trend but have you ever thought of how to dispose your electronic wastes properly?

I want to know your opinions on this.

Cheers :D

In a discussion earlier this week we shared how some of us can expect those who pick up our trash at home will take anything that is left at the curb. Others have trash collectors who will not take many forms of electronic waste.

Here in the US I'd say that commercial/industrial waste is better managed and controlled. Residential waste seems to vary all over the place. Much of it simply goes to a landfill.

How are they managed and controlled?

If it goes in the landfill then it's not a good practice. We had this discussion in school and I cannot think of any ways to recycle or reuse electronic wastes.

If you're talking about printed circuit boards and the like, they can be ground up and the metals can be recoverd and reused. Even the fiberglass from FR4 boards can be recovered and reused. The problem is, most people are too lazy. When a TV, vcr, stereo receiver, microwave, etc. fails, they put it out for the garbage collector. As seen in another post here, the devices don't even have to fail for them to be discarded. It's often viewed as too much trouble to take it somewhere to be recycled, that is, if there is even a place to take it.
JB

jbeng said:
If you're talking about printed circuit boards and the like, they can be ground up and the metals can be recoverd and reused. Even the fiberglass from FR4 boards can be recovered and reused. The problem is, most people are too lazy. When a TV, vcr, stereo receiver, microwave, etc. fails, they put it out for the garbage collector. As seen in another post here, the devices don't even have to fail for them to be discarded. It's often viewed as too much trouble to take it somewhere to be recycled, that is, if there is even a place to take it.
JB

Goodwill, Salvation Army, church thrift shops, high schools... These places will usually pick up used stuff in need of minor repairs, or just a new home with someone in need. Most of my appliances are pre-own, and only needed minor repairs. Had to learn how to do it, but it wasn't that big of a deal, and saved hundreds. Most I've had 10-15 years now (since I bought my house), with few problems. New appliances seem to have a very limited lifespan. Oh, must brag a little about my free 55" rear-projection TV.... Just had to clean out the dust, and optics. Definately couldn't afford to buy one new.

What about the componants on the board?

It'd be far too expensive to pay people to remove them for re-use, so how do they recycle them or don't they?

I saw a television program that I thought was describing current practice in at least one European country. Appliances like televisions were constructed of recyclable materials and in a way that facilitated easy separation of the various sections. The plastic cabinet, for example, might be 100% recyclable plastic and if design correctly, the separation from other items could be very easy. I think that this effort was or was to be combined with the pathways for the consumer to get the product into the recycling stream at the end of the product life.

Here's a local company: https://www.wastaway.com/
They've been handling the trash around here for a couple of years. The finished product has been used to make park benches, picnic tables, log houses, parking lot stops, etc,etc. The product has no 'aroma' but the process has caused them to have to move the facility from town to the 'industrial park'..

gerty said:
Here's a local company: https://www.wastaway.com/
They've been handling the trash around here for a couple of years. The finished product has been used to make park benches, picnic tables, log houses, parking lot stops, etc,etc. The product has no 'aroma' but the process has caused them to have to move the facility from town to the 'industrial park'..

very interesting. :)

will read more about this stuff :cool:

I actually go around town and pick up old things, Like Computers, Old TVs and Even Microwaves. They all have some use (or will in the future to me), Computers have cases, TVs have heatsinks and transformers, and Microwaves have MOTs, HV Caps, HV diodes, and even a VFD display (along with some switches). And if I cant use it, it just becomes a target :).

But if some resources are recycable, I wonder if Silicon from chips is recycable. It would have to be melted down to get any impurties out (such as PNP and NPN Doping materials) and then it could probably be used. Of course getting silicon out of chipos may be hard, but take a 486 processor. Just break open the back and vila! Silicon for the taking.

Silicon is just sand. I dont think anyone would bother to recycle it. I'm more concerned about heavy metals like lead and gold. But gold/silver is used in such small amounts it's unrecoverable.

To recycle or reuse components from a circuitboard, the easiest way is to use a 1500 Watt heatgun. The solder melts reasonable quickly and the components just fall off the board.
It's especially handy when the boards are soldered at both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back