Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with connecting PIC to PC via Hyper Termianl

Status
Not open for further replies.

fzn10

Im trying to connect my PIC to my PC via an rs232. This is a first time for me and im quite a novice when it comes to harware(as you can tell by the topic). im using the hyper-terminal program on windows, i am also using mplab. What im trying to do as a first step is display a character on the monitor. What is happening is that the PIC does not seem to want to interface with hyper terminal. When i connect my PIC through the com1, and then try to set the hyper terminal to com1 too, the hyper terminal displays the message "another program is using the telephony device". Any suggestions on how to solve this. Keep in mind that the hyper terminal can connect when the PIC is not conencted.

Thanks

did you disable your PIC programmer or close your PIC programmer software first?
What happen if you close MPLAB?

a step by step PDF with horrible schematic but could be handy (look at the DB9 jumper)
**broken link removed**

Sorry i can't really tell much about Hyperterminal. I never use it. I use the Serial Communicator of MicroCode Studio, a serial port sniffer software (HHD Serial monitor) or my own terminal software.

Last edited:
The error means the system cannot open com1 ,as you know. from your description, i see that that port is not physically connected to any other device .the next thing to do is to check the programs running in background , especially any program like modem drivers .further is there any other port available?

Let's have a longer explanation. In this case, if you're using PICSTART or else programmer in MPLAB it will do this error IF your programmer is connected to the same PORT. IF SO, use Disable Programmer from the Programmer menu. Same rule apply if your using another software for your device programmer and the same port. you don't have the disable option? just shut-down the software.

In most case, PC modems (if some still have) are internal, and i don't remind they use the COM1 anyway.

Once a port is open, another regular program can't access or open it... just a COM sniffer can monitor it

Last edited:
I use Portmon to find problems with serial ports, it's free, very good and you can get it from here.....

**broken link removed**

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back