Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems tinning soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Blanche

I am new to electronics and am trying to make a simple power supply. The soldering iron and solder I am using can be seen here; https://www.rpelectronics.com/sr-1024k-soldering-iron-kit.html . I am having difficulty tinning the iron, the flux seems to evaporate before the solder has a chance to tin the surface of the iron and I am left with a dark char-like covering on the iron. In addition when I try to tin it at a lower temperature I find that the rosin core evaporates at a lower temperature than the solder melts. How do you fix this issue?

Are you using rosin core solder AND flux? The core of the solder IS flux. You don't need both.

The trick is to tin the iron AS it's heating up. If you let it heat up completely before touching the solder to it, the solder will simply ball up and won't properly flow over the tip. And heating an un-tinned iron to its final temperature will cause the tip to burn (turn black).

Matt

I think the soldering iron is too cheap and has nothing to keep it from getting too hot. The tip of my Weller temperature-controlled soldering iron is always at the correct temperature if it has been sitting doing nothing all day or if it is soldering big things all day.
The Weller tips last for many years because they never get too hot and come from the factory already tinned.

In response to DerStorm8, I am only using the solder, adn when I say that the flux is evaporating I am referring only to the flux in the solder.

That Soldering Iron is quite cheap, but it should be OK.
(I have one like that in my truck, that I use on a Power Inverter.)

If your Tip is NOW Black, You need to clean and get it shiny, before trying to tin it again.
Maybe use an SOS pad or a fine sandpaper.
But DON'T get too aggressive, Just enough to remove the Black.

Than Turn your Iron on Again and hold the Solder to the Tip as it heats up.

Once you have it Tinned, Wipe it Frequently Between Uses, to help keep it clean.
Also Before Turning it Off, Wipe it and apply some FRESH Solder.

From RP Electronics?
Than I Assume your in Vancouver?

Last edited:
You might try a small amount rosin flux added to the iron tip before it warms up (or possibly acid flux if rosin flux doesn't seem strong enough, but be sure and wipe the tip clean after using acid flux).
Hold the solder to the fluxed tip as it warms up until the solder melts.

A good way to keep the tip clean after it is tinned is to wipe the tip frequently against a small damp sponge.

Maybe that tip is too hot.

You might try a small amount rosin flux added to the iron tip before it warms up (or possibly acid flux if rosin flux doesn't seem strong enough, but be sure and wipe the tip clean after using acid flux).
Hold the solder to the fluxed tip as it warms up until the solder melts.

A good way to keep the tip clean after it is tinned is to wipe the tip frequently against a small damp sponge.
I always used thick high quality paper napkins.

I always used thick high quality paper napkins.
Where I worked they used damp sponges for tip cleaning when doing NASA space qualified soldering so I figure it must be a good method. ;)

Where I worked they used damp sponges for tip cleaning when doing NASA space qualified soldering so I figure it must be a good method. ;)

The trick is to find the right kind of sponge. Regular kitchen sponges are not a good idea, as they will burn, emit toxic fumes, and will damage your soldering iron tip.

I have an hungur made in 1964 still good with same tip. By all means tin the tip as it warm up usualy 2 3 turn of solder on the tip wipe clean on a moist sponge and retip slightly now you are ready to solder. HEAT experience will tell you a very hot iron on a small package is no good but sometimes on a massive connection you will need more heat . Usualy a 47 watts iron is average good for most connection. A good iron however will sense tip temperature and adjust to it. Solder composition is very inportant 63% lead tin is good with muliple flux core

The trick is to find the right kind of sponge. Regular kitchen sponges are not a good idea, as they will burn, emit toxic fumes, and will damage your soldering iron tip.
I think the proper kind is the old fashioned cellulose sponge, which is hard when dry (at least after the first use).
You don't want one made of any plastic material (which are typically soft, wet or dry).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back