Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems selecting a PCB Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewcastleSAR

Hi Folks..

I'm finalising all the parts for the Darkroom timer based on two circuits before I decide on which one to build but have run into a difficulty selecting the Transformer I need.

As I have two circuits to choose from, the transformer the two circuits quote are:

Mains Transformer 6V 1.5VA (PCB Mounted)

and

220VAC 15VAC 1VA PCB Transformer

I've gone to RS Components to source the Transformers @

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/s...cdgaddjkikjhmhcefeceeldgondhgi.0&cacheID=ukie

and tried using their filtering system to narrow down the types available but I can't seem to match what they have against what I need.

Could anyone assist in picking out the code for the transformers I require?

Based on my searching

For the 220VAC 15VAC 1VA PCB Transformer, the nearest I can seem to match is the following:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/s...cdgaddjkikjhmhcefeceeldgondhgi.0&cacheID=ukie

and for the Mains Transformer 6V 1.5VA (PCB Mounted) I get

I gather that the VAC is the AC voltage in and the AC voltage out but what is the VA quote and how does it match up with output current.

Many thanks on this longwinded posting.

Declan

Most transformers secondaries are rated for a specific voltage at a specific current, if the current draw goes higher than that the voltage drops as the inductive coupling isn't high enough to transfer more power. I'm going to hazzard a guess that if you try to draw power past the VA rateing of a transformer that core losses in the transformer are going to become very high and the voltage is going to drop significantly.

Please post a link to the project and or a schematic so we will be able to tell you if the transformer is suitablity sized.

Really the biggest problem is finding a transformer that fits the PCB, they are usually all a little different.

But from RS Components there's a 6V 1.5VA under 347-3388, and a 15V 1.5VA under 347-3417 - they don't list a 15V 1VA (at least on the first page).

Oops..

Sorry folks about the RS Components links. I didn't realise that they had an expiry level on them.

I've attached the two schematic diagrams for kind souls to have a look at. This project is also in reference to another link about an S201S01 Traic although I think I have the triac sorted.

BTW, RS components is my main supplier as I have an account with them hence the links I was using to RS

Regards

Declan

Attachments

• Darkroom Timer 1 6V.pdf
    545.9 KB · Views: 2,379
  • DarkroomTimer Schematic.pdf
    169.5 KB · Views: 369
Hi Nigel..

Sorry about the links to RS Components. What you have quoted below is what the links I had should have pointed you towards.

Is the 347-3388 transformer suitable for this circuit?

In relation to the 220VAC/15VAC 1A transformer, the nearest I could get was the 347-3417. If this okay?

I've emailed the Author of the 220VAC/15VAC 1A transformer and awaiting a reply.

Regards

Declan

Nigel Goodwin said:
Really the biggest problem is finding a transformer that fits the PCB, they are usually all a little different.

But from RS Components there's a 6V 1.5VA under 347-3388, and a 15V 1.5VA under 347-3417 - they don't list a 15V 1VA (at least on the first page).

NewcastleSAR said:
Hi Nigel..

Sorry about the links to RS Components. What you have quoted below is what the links I had should have pointed you towards.

Is the 347-3388 transformer suitable for this circuit?

In relation to the 220VAC/15VAC 1A transformer, the nearest I could get was the 347-3417. If this okay?

You've just changed your details! - you previously said 1VA, now you're saying 1A - which is it?. The transformers I referenced were both 1.5VA.

EDIT: I've just checked the diagrams you posted, the 6V one is 1.5VA, the 15V one is 1A (15VA), so if you wnat to build that circuit you need to look for a 15VA transformer. Bear in mind, most of the RS transformers have two windings, which you should connect in parallel.

The 6V one lists a Conrad transformer, have you considered ordering that?.

Last edited:
Sorry Nigel..

There appears to be a typo on the Parts list page of this project.

I quoted what was on the Parts/component list. It states on this list 220VAC/15VAC 1VA PCB Transformer. Having now looked at the schematic, it states 220VAC/15VAC 1A

Would that now suggest that the transformer 347-2824 from RS be the one I would be looking for?

In relation to the 6V one you quoted (347-3388) okay for this circuit.

The reason for not ordering from Conrad is that they have aminimum order of 50 Euro plus, it has an omber traffic light which I assume means that they don't have them in stock.

Declan

Nigel Goodwin said:
You've just changed your details! - you previously said 1VA, now you're saying 1A - which is it?. The transformers I referenced were both 1.5VA.

EDIT: I've just checked the diagrams you posted, the 6V one is 1.5VA, the 15V one is 1A (15VA), so if you wnat to build that circuit you need to look for a 15VA transformer. Bear in mind, most of the RS transformers have two windings, which you should connect in parallel.

The 6V one lists a Conrad transformer, have you considered ordering that?.

Last edited:
Well the schematic is wrong, you need a 9V 1VA transformer.

6V is too low due to the dropout voltage of the LM7805 and 15VA is too big because this circuit only draws a very small current.

Hi Nigel..

Based on the info you now know, which transformers would you recommend in the RS range?

:confused: Now I have to consider Hero999's comments.

Hero999.. :eek:

What would be your recommendations from RS components

As it is, I'm still waiting on responses from the Guys that designed the circuits.

Regards

Declan

Nigel Goodwin said:
That ones 36VA not 15VA - it would work fine, but will be more expensive and larger than needed.

NewcastleSAR said:
Hero999.. :eek:

What would be your recommendations from RS components
310-1342, 8V and only 1VA but it's still powerful enough for your application or preferably 347-3394, 9V, 1.5VA, it's also cheaper which is suprising.

As it is, I'm still waiting on responses from the Guys that designed the circuits.
Don't just blindly build a circuit, try to understand how it works.

Hi Hero999

Many thanks for that.

Can you recommend a good book or website location that would help me understand transformers and how to select the correct one.

I'm still trying to tie in the values of the transformer in the circuit to understand the VAC (in/Out) versus the VA values and the output current it can supply.

In simplistic terms and at the risk of getting a smacked, with reference to the 220VAC/15VAC 1A transformer, is this essentially a transfomer that steps down 220 Volts AC to 15 Volts AC and can supply an output current up to 1 amp?

I can't seem to marry the 15VA and the output and 1A for this transformer to one at RS. The nearest I get to it is 347-2694 (16VA) but it only supplies 0.5A. The next one up is the 201-8738. Its supplies 0.73A but the VA has gone up to 22VA.

:confused:

In the 6V transformer circuit, is the reason for specifying the 8V (or 9V) transformer due to the 7805 regulator needing a minimum voltage of 7.5V for it to operate?

Sorry if all the questions sound dumb. :eek:

Declan

Hero999 said:
310-1342, 8V and only 1VA but it's still powerful enough for your application or preferably 347-3394, 9V, 1.5VA, it's also cheaper which is suprising.

Don't just blindly build a circuit, try to understand how it works.

NewcastleSAR said:
I can't seem to marry the 15VA and the output and 1A for this transformer to one at RS. The nearest I get to it is 347-2694 (16VA) but it only supplies 0.5A.

If it's like the other transformers (and I presume it is?), then it has TWO secondary windings (this make it far more versatile), paralleling them gives you the 1A you're looking for!.

NewcastleSAR said:
Can you recommend a good book or website location that would help me understand transformers and how to select the correct one.
Google is your best bet.

I'm still trying to tie in the values of the transformer in the circuit to understand the VAC (in/Out) versus the VA values and the output current it can supply.
VA is Volts times Amps, a 15V 15VA transformer can supply a maximum current of 1A.

In simplistic terms and at the risk of getting a smacked, with reference to the 220VAC/15VAC 1A transformer, is this essentially a transfomer that steps down 220 Volts AC to 15 Volts AC and can supply an output current up to 1 amp?

Yes
I can't seem to marry the 15VA and the output and 1A for this transformer to one at RS. The nearest I get to it is 347-2694 (16VA) but it only supplies 0.5A. The next one up is the 201-8738. Its supplies 0.73A but the VA has gone up to 22VA.

Don't worry about it 1A is far more than your PIC and optocoupler emmitter will ever use, just use the 1VA or 1.5VA unit I suggested.

In the 6V transformer circuit, is the reason for specifying the 8V (or 9V) transformer due to the 7805 regulator needing a minimum voltage of 7.5V for it to operate?
Transformers voltage are always specified as Root Mean Square (RMS), an AC voltage that will do the same work as a DC voltage.

[latex]V_{PEAK}=sqrt{2} \times V_{RMS}[/latex]

The voltage across your smoother capacitor is the peak voltage minus the losses in the rectifier (1.4V).

[latex]V_{OUT}=sqrt{2} \times V_{RMS}- 1.4[/latex]

Now, if you look at the datasheet for you will find that the 7805 needs at least 8V to regulate properly, therefore the output needs to be kept above 8V, so rearanging the above formula:

[latex]V_{RMS}= \frac{V_{OUT}+1.4}{sqrt{2}}[/latex]

So your input needs to be above:
[latex]V_{RMS}=\frac{8+1.4}{sqrt{2}}=6.64V[/latex]

Sorry if all the questions sound dumb. :eek:

I'm sorry I don't have either the time of will to explain all of this in great detail (that would take many pages).

Don't worry about the above formulae, try googling the following terms:

Voltage regulator.
Root mean square.
Dropout voltage.
Smoothing capacitor.
Transformer.

Hero999 said:
Don't worry about it 1A is far more than your PIC and optocoupler emmitter will ever use, just use the 1VA or 1.5VA unit I suggested.

You've not studied the circuit! - the 15V one has four seven segment LED displays, so needs a much higher capacity supply!.

Hi Nigel..

I think things are staring to click together now.

Having just studied a transformer circuit on the Internet and applying the 15VAC value if I wire the two secondaries together in series, it doubles the voltage but keeps current at same level but wiring in paralled keeps voltage at same level but doubles current.

Is that correct?

Declan

Nigel Goodwin said:
If it's like the other transformers (and I presume it is?), then it has TWO secondary windings (this make it far more versatile), paralleling them gives you the 1A you're looking for!.

NewcastleSAR said:
Hi Nigel..

I think things are staring to click together now.

Having just studied a transformer circuit on the Internet and applying the 15VAC value if I wire the two secondaries together in series, it doubles the voltage but keeps current at same level but wiring in paralled keeps voltage at same level but doubles current.

Is that correct?

Yes it is, it's important though that the windings are in phase, but it's usually obvious how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back