Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with shift registers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jboavida

Hi,

I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I have the following setup:

On ATMEL AVR microcontroller (Mega163) is driving about 60 shift registers in LED boards (to display characters). The boards are quit large, so I have about 3 meters to the last shif register. Signals are clock, data, Latch and Output enable.

Knowing that:

I have 40mA fan out on the AVR. (more that good to drive 60 shift registers)
If I toogle the signals at maximum frequency the AVR permits (about 65Khz) I have perfect defined signals without any noise in every board.
I have 10K pullups on the AVR side.

But when I use the system to shiftout characters I have random bits that turn on and should be off.

When I lower the pull up of the clock signal to 1K the problem almost dissapears. Other signals have no effect.

I dont understand what the problem is because the scope show perfect signals everywhere...

Can someone help please?

Thanks

Joaquim

If the errors are random, then you might not catch them on your scope. If your instrument has a glitch detection system, you could possible use it to see what's going on. Or you might use a dedicated clock driver between your AVR and hardware. Clock lines need to be very clean, so keep that in mind when designing the connections. Good luck!

The problem only happens after the board number 5. Boards 1 to 5 are ok, boards 6 to 10 have problems. Are you suggesting maybe a LS245 ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back