Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem With my H Bridge IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdoy Isaac

Hey, I'm doing a Skills Canada robotics competition with my school, and we need to remote-control motors to drive the robot. we are using a arduino microcontroller, so we got one of these:

**broken link removed**

(datasheet).

Its a h bridge 5205-2 IC. we set it up on a breadboard, but when we run power through it the motor only makes a clicking sound and doesnt go. we are using a cordelss drill motor.
We've control-tested all the variables: the motor runs when connected directly to the battery, and we tested the voltage coming out of the h bridge outputs and it shows the same as the voltage of the battery. same with the amperage.
Are we missing a resistor? what is wrong with our circuit?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum. New members can't post attachments immediately; they have to await moderator approval.
Are we missing a resistor? what is wrong with our circuit?
We can't see your circuit, so we can't tell.

I think the motor draws more current than the maximum allowed current of the IC. So the IC shuts off.

Hey! You can't use a lousy breadboard for 6A of current.

I think the very high current drawn by your motor has melted your stupid breadboard.
Post a video of the smoke.

Last edited:
I replied to a little school kid who knows nothing about electronics.
He says, "we" so it is a bunch of little wee school kids.

Maybe he is a prince and that is the royal "we" LOL

that is actually a reasonable part for a beginner to use. I would recommend to him to PWM it to limit the stalled rotor start up current. then he would have a chance of getting it going.

Dan

Have you checked the Error Flag output? You need to pull it up with something like a 10k. But it should indicate if the IC detected one of the fault conditions listed on section 1.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back