Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with L298 h-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

katew

i am currently a student who is working on the h-bridge with L298 ic. This h-bridge is going to run 2 dc gear motor with 12v and 1.1A. I followed the circuit diagram from this website below.

**broken link removed**

However,this website didnt tell me what is the code for the diode. My friend recomment me to use either IN4001 or FR202. Which 1 will be suitable.
Is there anything i need to modify on this circuit diagram that i found?

hi katew,
Looking at the link and knowing the size of your motor, I would say any general purpose 1Amp 100Vpiv rectifier would be OK. [1N4001]

ericgibbs said:
hi katew,
Looking at the link and knowing the size of your motor, I would say any general purpose 1Amp 100Vpiv rectifier would be OK. [1N4001]

thanks for the info...i will going to try it out...by the way..currently i dont have any microcontroller to test the h-bridge that i going to build. How am i going to test it with a function generator..i think of using 2 function generator to generate pwm signal. Will it going to work?

katew said:
thanks for the info...i will going to try it out...by the way..currently i dont have any microcontroller to test the h-bridge that i going to build. How am i going to test it with a function generator..i think of using 2 function generator to generate pwm signal. Will it going to work?
hi,

The website text warning NOT to drive both sides of the 'H' at the same time are important, else you will damage it.

**broken link removed**

If you current limit the power supply then it's possible to do it safely but I wouldn't if that isn't the case.

ericgibbs said:
hi,

The website text warning NOT to drive both sides of the 'H' at the same time are important, else you will damage it.

**broken link removed**

then is there any other possible to resolve this problem? This is because i plan to use this ic to contol my both my motor to move forward and backward.

Hero999 said:
If you current limit the power supply then it's possible to do it safely but I wouldn't if that isn't the case.

than what am i going to do...actually i tried to use normal darlington h-bridge before i going to use L298 ic,then i found out that the darlington h-bridge will bring too much power losses compared to the ic chip..n the size is big compared to the L298 h-bridge..so please be kind to give me suggestion.

katew said:
then is there any other possible to resolve this problem? This is because i plan to use this ic to contol my both my motor to move forward and backward.

Yes, simply use it correctly, but (like almost any H-bridge) if you inadvertently switch it incorrectly you can destroy it.

if i wanted to add in resistor to the circuit,to protect the circuit. which part do i need to add in?

hving problem with the circuit...not so sure what it is the 2 hole between the diode and the holes for the L298 IC

hi katew,

Attached drawing marking the two holes you are asking about, are these
the two??

Last edited:
hi katew,
From what I can see from the project data, these two holes do not have any components fitted, they appear to be artwork pads used as a transition between a 'wide' track and a 'narrow' track.

Normally the artworker would use a 'blind' pad [no hole] in this position, he appears to have used a 'doughnut' style pad [hole]

hi prasetyo,
Welcome I hope you enjoy the forum.

I would suggest that you examine the different forum topics/headings, so that you can post any future posts in the correct forum.
In this way, you will get the best response and attention to any questions you may have.

still got some more holes that i do not really know the purpose of it.and Thanks for the previous reply.

Attachments

• l298-hookup.jpg
    l298-hookup.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 901
hi,
The 10way IDC connector fits into some of those holes. see modified dwg.

The other pad holes are not referred to in the circuit diagram also looking at the picture of the assembled pcb, there are no components in those holes?

The color layout on the website has so many differences from the actual pcb so its useless as a guide.

As there is NO logic power decoupling on the pcb and the 'holes' are near the +5V and 0V I would guess that the designer had intended to fit decoupling capacitors in those spare holes.

Last edited:
hi katew,

I have been looking thru the website where you got the HB design.

I think whoever has added the 'text' along side of the PCB have got the power rails incorrectly marked!

I have now downloaded all the info from the website, give me 24hrs and I'll get back to you. Hopefully with some ideas.

What ever you do, DONT apply any power to the pcb at this time.

hi katew,

Attached modified drawings.

Checking the website, it appears that someone has modified the original
details to suit different motor configurations. You will have to study the website text to decide which version you going to use.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
katew said:
i am currently a student who is working on the h-bridge with L298 ic. This h-bridge is going to run 2 dc gear motor with 12v and 1.1A. I followed the circuit diagram from this website below.

**broken link removed**

However,this website didnt tell me what is the code for the diode. My friend recomment me to use either IN4001 or FR202. Which 1 will be suitable.
Is there anything i need to modify on this circuit diagram that i found?
http://urerobots.googlepages.com/MotionControlUniH-bridge.png

I had used 5819

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back