Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem in getting native voltage using NCP3170

Status
Not open for further replies.

manju_gowda

Hi,
I have conducted test to obtain -5V using NCP3170 as explained in a link https://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/DN05004-D.PDF (Figure 1)
In case 1: with input voltage 5V and without any output load I was able to get -5V .
In case 2: with 5V, and later test with 8V input voltage, if i place a load of 15 ohm or 100 ohm across the output I'm not getting the -5V, and the chip does not turn on switching. Instead I'm getting +2V or 0V. Changing the chip twice times yields the same result.

Please suggest potential causes and solutions to this problem.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Double-check that you have a good connection to pin6 (Enable). Is your circuit built on a breadboard or a pcb?

I think that, in this case, your load resistances are too low.

Try increasing the output load resistance (gradually) and see where the SMPS starts switching, giving you the negative output you expect.

I believe this circuit is only for providing a negative "rail" (or potential) of little current capability: something you might use to assure that, for instance, and OpAmp comparator circuit output goes all the way to zero volts (or less) when appropriate.

On that note, there are simpler circuits for that purpose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back