Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Probably the best SMPS repair guide ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi Folks

Not written by me ( I wish it was) but a really thorough and comprehensive guide about all SMPS stuff. It includes safety precautions, tips, tricks and everything needed to both understand and repair SMPS..

I stumbled across this site and I think it is the most time I have ever spent scrutinizing the information given. To see if they/them are not just another bunch of chancer's on the Internet......Very happy to say that the information they provide is probably all you will ever need to do small SMPS repairs..TV, Video and so on. It just makes me so happy to know that there are other good thorough Guys out there that want to share all they have learned with the World :)

Proudly I link ETO to : https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm

A long read. But worth every second of your time.

Regards,
tvtech

I believe the link above should be a Sticky...

I work with SMPS everyday of my life. Everything they say is true......to get people to READ is probably a waste of time..
Hence the easy way out is just to ask questions here....

When all would have been covered with the link above :cool:

All of the Info is there and accurate. I endorse the site 100%.

I checked it.

Regards,
tvtech

Always a pleasure to guide those that genuinely want to learn in the right direction.

All the best,
tvtech

nice info. Yeah, it should be stickied, and come to think about it which is more valuable way to learn:
a): ask here, folks here tells to change that, measure that etc....it works, and what did we learn? nothing! magic happened, it works but repairer don't have any idea why it was broken

b) read many, many pages of SMPS, learn its anatomy, making notes (or taking...) and such.

anyway, thanks for info tech, very handy and informative!

Hi Fez

Like I said, I endorse all they talk about with SMPS. I cannot tell you how over I am with SMPS though. Fixed enough of these things in my lifetime of fixing TV's...

SMPS is fine and happy if your Mains is constant, no spikes, no nasty stuff. No little unwanted normal Mains ups or downs...unless and I say it again if your SMPS is built by maybe Delta Electronics. They are experts in their field.....but even they cannot stop a Main Smoothing Cap rated @ 450 VDC Max exploding when it suddenly has to deal with 500VDC...

I see stuff like this everyday here. It keeps us in business...but I don't like it. Linear PSU's can handle this kind of thing for a while....SMPS just freaks and blows.

Regards,
tvtech

perhaps that'll help people understand SMPS better, including me :D...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back