Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Probably Something Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeGuy

I need to know what the formula is to figure out peak-to-peak voltage across a 10k ohm resistor that dissipates 50 mW. I need this for school, and I can't figure it out. Thanks

JustSomeGuy said:
I need to know what the formula is to figure out peak-to-peak voltage across a 10k ohm resistor that dissipates 50 mW. I need this for school, and I can't figure it out. Thanks

What waveform?.

You can easily work out the voltage for DC, which is the same as the RMS voltage for AC. You then just need to convert the RMS value to p-p for the waveform being used.

We are studying the AC wave form right now. So AC sine wave. That's the only info I got, and I need to find the peak-to-peak from that.

What do school teachers do nowadays?
Don't they teach students how to read so they can see the formulas?
Don't they give out or tell students which text books have the formulas they need?
Don't they teach anything about the formulas or just talk about them?
Instead of memorizing a big, long 1.4xx number, don't they teach the importance of the root of two?
What about Ohm's Law?

When the kids calculators or computers die, So does the learning.
From what I have seen, Most kid today don't know how to even add or subtract, without a calculator.

Thats all they teach.

JustSomeGuy said:

P = V^2 / R

Remember that "V" is RMS volts, not peak-to-peak.

For a sine wave, Vpeak = 2*(root 2)*Vrms.

chemelec said:
When the kids calculators or computers die, So does the learning.
From what I have seen, Most kid today don't know how to even add or subtract, without a calculator.

Thats all they teach.

Actually, not so (at least in the UK).

UK schools teach 'mental maths', no calculators (or pencils) allowed, my daughter is 14 years old (year 9), she's been doing mental maths since early primary school.

Personally I learnt 'mental maths' playing darts, if you're scoring and got it wrong, you've got people with sharp pointy things they can throw at you :lol:

Obviously, I long predate calculators! - I used to love log books at school!.

The teachers should have pointy darts to throw!

I gave up on my slide rule when I realized that one divided by two times pi is almost 0.16. It took my very 1st calculator (high-voltage flourescent display!) about 5 seconds to get the answer to about 8 decimals. Some log calculations took it about 1 full minute. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back