Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Private Message (PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

How do I PM somebody. I click on the person username and all I see is start a conversation which I think is not the same thing.

Thanks

Start a conversation is the new PM. Just click on it and chose the one person you want to PM.

John

Yep, John is right. A "conversation" is the same as a PM. It's a bit annoying how the name for it changed between software, but I guess we just need to roll with the punches.

A "conversation" has the same functionality as the old "private messages".

Also, a conversation can have several participants. If I remember correctly a PM was just one to one.

JimB

Okay, thank you all.

Is it that code writers, by changing names, want to leave an imprint, albeit brief... until the next guy comes and changes it again?

I still remember when Microchip's MPLAB started to use "nodes" instead of "files". I cannot imagine how proud the author surely felt...!

I prefer what Mark Zbikowski did. Everlasting imprint.
aplausos bis.gif

Also, note that conversations are not private; I understand that they can be read by admin.

Hi spec, I taught in school in moral education that opening others' private messages are VERY bad habit.

Hi spec, I taught in school in moral education that opening others' private messages are VERY bad habit.

Hi Willen,

Yeah, I was surprised, but I can understand that admin need to monitor all activities on the site to ensure that they are legal/comply with ETO rules. Of course, the answer is to move over to emails, and then you will only have the government security authorities to worry about. :D

spec

Hi Willen,

Yeah, I was surprised, but I can understand that admin need to monitor all activities on the site to ensure that they are legal/comply with ETO rules. Of course, the answer is to move over to emails, and then you will only have the government security authorities to worry about. :D

spec

So, it is true??

So, it is true??
I don't know 100% about ETO- perhaps admin could advise. But in terms of national security, it would be extraordinary, if they were not monitoring and recording every move you make: phone calls, text messages, and emails included. But, by definition, you will never know. All I can say is that every bit of information that has leaked out has showed a frightening level of monitoring. And before you quote laws on privacy, just ask: how could they be enforced?

I have posted before how, when I was on jury service, one defendant was indicted pretty much by his phone calls and texts.

Last edited:
Btw, mods cannot read PM's, nor do we wish to.

Also, note that conversations are not private; I understand that they can be read by admin.
A clarification.

Admin MAY be able to read PMs, I do not know.

ETO Moderators CANNOT read PMs except those in which that are involved. Other forums may have a different configuration.

JimB

Btw, mods cannot read PM's, nor do we wish to.

A clarification.

Admin MAY be able to read PMs, I do not know.

ETO Moderators CANNOT read PMs except those in which that are involved. Other forums may have a different configuration.

JimB
Thanks Inquisitive and JimB. I would be very pleased to be wrong, but according to my information admins can read PMs. Mind you, I really don't know who the admins are or exactly how they differ from mods, but that is probably my shortcoming- I simply have not learned how sites are managed.

Last edited:
As standard the software comes with the ability to be read by Admin and super Mods, the rights of the mods to read conversations can be tweaked in the main menu as can many other privileges all groups have. Most forum software comes with this built in or at the very least a mod pack you can download to do this, I dont think you should say anything in PM you wouldnt say on a open forum. If you treat pm's like that then it dosnt matter, also if you want private use something like email or skype.

Yes admin can read PM's but to do it is a big PITA. You have to change to that user to read their PMs. And then anything new is still marked as read once you do it. Other way is to build a sql query to do that and honestly it's more trouble than it's worth. Only once have I been asked by a user (on our CAD forum) to look into his PMs because he was being spammed by another user which turned out to be a PM spam bot.

dmiyares
What about super moderators as stated above by LG?

John
Super mods would have to be given that function as part of the privileges settings as I said. In theory supermods or any other group can be given just about any of the available powers. Its common in most forum software. There are other ways to do it but as stated above it is alot of work to go to for an electronics forum! At the end of the day do we really think what we right is worth going to that kind of trouble!

As standard the software comes with the ability to be read by Admin and super Mods, the rights of the mods to read conversations can be tweaked in the main menu as can many other privileges all groups have. Most forum software comes with this built in or at the very least a mod pack you can download to do this, I dont think you should say anything in PM you wouldnt say on a open forum. If you treat pm's like that then it dosnt matter, also if you want private use something like email or skype.
Little Ghostman said:
Super mods would have to be given that function as part of the privileges settings as I said. In theory supermods or any other group can be given just about any of the available powers. Its common in most forum software. There are other ways to do it but as stated above it is alot of work to go to for an electronics forum! At the end of the day do we really think what we right is worth going to that kind of trouble!

#1 and #2 are not the same. Maybe you need to edit one. "Moderators" is not equal to "Super Moderators." As you know, other sites just call the moderators, "Moderators."

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back