Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Priceline.com covers hotels and flights, Who Covers Electronic Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I just came across this great website for price comparison of electronic parts. https://www.oemsecrets.com

Enter in your part number, and a list of all distributors like Farnell, Digi-Key are listed along with their current pricing. Looking at various parts on here I see that one can save a substantial amount of money (especially for a large build) by using this free website. As the word of this site gets out, it may force distributors to adjust their prices to stay competitive. I think you will find this a useful resource. See screenshot:

oemsecrets.JPG

Gee, you mention DigiKey, but I don't see it in the list. Where's DigiKey? What about S&H cost? Minimum order? Combined orders? Delivery time? Other parts not made by TI? And so forth?

John

I did not screen capture the whole thing, and you can search any manufacturer. I came across this website, thought it was handy and thought others would to. Use it or not, I don't care. Geez

Thanks. I've bookmarked it. Should come in handy.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike, thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.

I've been using www.findchips.com.

On another note, I use a LOT of CR2032 and LR44 batteries and I use these **broken link removed** guys in the US. The substitutes don't work well.
The retail price when Radio Shack was around was like $5.00 each. I just checked another option $2.59 USD, but I have to order and pick up. The company offers free shipping when you pick up an order to a local location. It may take a week. If I order direct, it would be here the next day for about $10.00 postage.

So, as alec said a lot goes into trying to find the best "overall cost". Let's not use price here. Infinatelights offers free postage for orders over $15.00 and 10+ CR2032 batteries are $0.89. Digikey, I believe has them cheaper, but not necessarily with postage. My order is usually about 20 Cr2032 and 10 LR44's.

I made a very effective and easy to use laundry lint filter, basically using modified commercial parts:
Filter Holder and some fittings - aquarium supply store
Clamp and washer - Vendor #2
New Hose - ebay - Vendor #3
Filter - Vendor #3.
Hardware store

Each one, except ebay can add ~$10.00 USD for postage, but I did not have much of a choice. The filter went through three iterations over time. Bag selection mesh size and material for cleanability. Before the special clamp, I used a hose clamp, nutdriver and thick washer (plumbing part), but it was a bit inconvenient. For th final design, I used a friend's lathe and drill press which he doesn't have anymore. It's simple and maybe > $100 USD. It's still cost-effective because renting a auger and the the inconvenience, The clog happened to be about 25 feet in in a galvanized pipe in/under the basement floor.

When I purchase from Ebay, shipping cost is always something I look at. What may look like a savings is not after S&H.

I've been ordering a lot of components from dx.com. Hard to beat the prices on a lot of items.
They have lots of other stuff too. Free shipping, just have to wait two or three weeks for it to ship from China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back