Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pressure sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaineo

I'm trying to build a scale that will measure from the tenth of a gram range and up. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this.

Sensor type + range

I'm a bit confused; a gram is a weight measurement (actually mass), but your post is for a pressure transducer. Which would you like to measure--force or pressure?

The range (0.1g ~ 0.03 oz ~ 0.002 lb) is rather small and on the order of instrumentation-quality, which means expensive. Of course, anything can be done. I once used a force transducer that could measure that range with only mediocre accuracy that cost about $250 that I got from Omega. If you want highly repeatable force measurements on that order, it may cost $1000.

Now, if it's pressure measurements you're looking for, a gram doesn't make sense because it's not in the units of pressure. I'm not sure how to proceed from here on that one;..

Short answer--look at digikey's pressure and force transducers and at Omega (www.omega.com). Watch that with most transducers (especially those of high precision/accuracy) you'll need to buy a signal conditioner which amplifies the signal to 5v at the max output. Those can often cost as much as the transducer itself.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I might have gotten a little confused when I posted. I'm just trying to make a digital scale that can measure down to the tenth of a gram range. I've seen a few scales for about $30 that supposly can do this but i thought that seemed a little cheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back