Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pressure sensor and OpAMP circuit design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Can anyone help me with a bit of circuit design please.

I have a differential pressure sensor with a 320mV full scale span and some rail-to-rail OpAMPs (see attached) all from the same 5v source.
I want 0-5v volts presented to one of two A/D pins on a PIC so that I can measure (a) the differential between the two ports of the sensor and (b) the polarity i.e. which port is at the higher pressure.

This may not be the best way to skin this cat (no offence to kat lovers intended) so alternative solutions welcome. Oh, and please be aware that I have very little knowledge of this subject (obviously!) so please keep the help in 'xxxx for Dummies' style.

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 590
Look up a circuit called a differential op-amp amplifier. It will tell you how to pick you resistors to get the right amount of amplification. Then on the positive input of the op-amp put 2.5v on it. This will give a DC offset, you need this because you want polarity. So basicly 2.5 to 5v is one side of the sensor and 2.5 to 0 is the other. that's all you'll need

You didn't mention what kind of sensor you are using, but I used a bridge like this once (I can't remember the brand but they were later conquered and taken captive by Honeywell), Sensym I think, anyhoo, it wasn't temperature compensated so it made a better thermometer than pressure sensor. I ended up using an external thermistor and corrected for it in software, but since the pressure sensor has a faster response to temperature than the thermistor, it is still sensitive to rapid temperature changes.

fwiw,
j.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back