Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pressure Sensitive Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LApprenti Sorcier

Hi there!

Could someone give me an idea?

I need some sort of pressure sensitive pad that is:

- Fairly large (around 100 x 60 cm).
- Flexible.
- Waterproof.
- Does not float.
- Resistant to rough treatment.
- Can give me some sort of electric signal when briefly stepped on or kicked.

Hopefully it will be a simple on/off signal, but if needed I can measure, for example, a change of resistance...

*** Something else, ideally it would be a material which I can handle and use on whatever I need and will be cheaper than buying a bunch of premanufactured re-mortgage-your-house security pads because I need loads of them...

Someone once told me about a certain conductive foam which would chance resistance when under pressure, ever heard of it? The only problem is that being a foam it will not be heavier than water and will not sink...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What you are describing here is comonly used in industry and it's
known as safety mat. There are many brands so you will have to google
a bit to find what you like. Companies that deal with safety are
for example Sick, Banner, Sti, Honeywell, Keyence and many more.

Those pads used to be used to open doors automatically at stores, etc. These days, they often use ultrasonic or microwave sensors for that. Here's a link for a pressure-sensitive mat which can be used for home security alarms: **broken link removed**
Might be just what you're looking for. This one might not be waterproof though.
JB

Thanks for your tips!

I just edited the post to add an aditional note...

(And fixed a typo too... 8) )

This type of mat is used in the alarm business also.It's placed under carpeting. It's usually normally open , closed when stepped on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back