Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

preparing a circuit for a dirty supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer

Heh,

I'm a little confused on what I need to change - I have a simple 7805 regulator setup with a rectifier before it and a 47u cap after it.

it will run happily and be stable on a 9v battery or a 7.5-12v DC transformer, but I would like to know how I would need to modify this for possible use in a car cigarette lighter.

Can anyone explain what protection I'd need to put in, obviously suitably rated.

thanks,
Ben

You should put 2 100n caps, one in front of the 7805 ad one behind it. The 47µF behind it is not required, its better to put a bigger cap (470 - 1000µF) in front of it.

It should work fine then off a car cigarette lighter - I've made a digital voltage meter with a pic running with a power supply like that in both a honda crx and a civic, never had any problems with it.

Hi,

I didn't have any 100n caps at the time so I just put a 47u one in. Is that bad?

At the moment I'm designing the one for the dirty supply then that goes:

Input -> Rectifier -> 470u Cap -> Regulator -> 100n Cap -> Output

Ben

You should have smallish capacitors on both input and output, as close to the pins as possible - 0.1uF as Exo suggested is fine - but small electrolytics work as well (1-10uF).

The capacitors are there to stop the device oscillating, and even though it 'may' work OK without them, it's likely to oscillate under some load conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back